Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Erin - Welcome!
MommainMoldova - thank you for info! Picturing little children living in those conditions makes me pray that the referral process starts to speed up a bit.
While I am waiting, I am learning a few key phrases in Romanian. Would you say that Moldovan/Romanian is the most common language spoken in the orphanages?
Advertisements
fla.sunshine
Hi Erin - Welcome!
MommainMoldova - thank you for info! Picturing little children living in those conditions makes me pray that the referral process starts to speed up a bit.
While I am waiting, I am learning a few key phrases in Romanian. Would you say that Moldovan/Romanian is the most common language spoken in the orphanages?
Yes, the conditions are not good. And unfortunately like all things in Moldova, things are very "politically" influenced, which in my opinion slows the process of adoption referrals. :-(
The official language of Moldova is Romanian. So that is the primary language spoken in business and among any state-run institutions. Moldovans still wishing they lived during the Soviet Era are pretty adamant about calling it "Moldovan," but it's Romanian. There are a few "dialect" or phrase differences, but nothing you would really have to deal with during a basic conversation. The staff at the orphanages will appreciate your effort in trying to learn the language. Să-ți fie de bine!
Hi. I'm new to this forum. We hope to start the process to adopt from Moldova soon. We are trying to save some money and get educated for now but we can't wait to start. I just want to make the right choices and not to rush. Something that worries me and that I'm trying to get more info on is special needs. We are open to special needs but we don't know what to expect financially. We don't want to say we would adopt a child with this or this need and then not being able to pay for the cost to treat it. Can anybody give any info or where could I find info on this? I will be contacting our health insurance to see how soon would our child be covered and the "deductibles". We are open to a child with missing limbs, for example, but only if we know that we can provide everything that child needs. How can you find out? I saw online that prosthetic legs could be as much as $65,000. We know that with children you have to change prosthetics quite often. I feel so lost...
JVK
Hi. I'm new to this forum. We hope to start the process to adopt from Moldova soon. We are trying to save some money and get educated for now but we can't wait to start. I just want to make the right choices and not to rush. Something that worries me and that I'm trying to get more info on is special needs. We are open to special needs but we don't know what to expect financially. We don't want to say we would adopt a child with this or this need and then not being able to pay for the cost to treat it. Can anybody give any info or where could I find info on this? I will be contacting our health insurance to see how soon would our child be covered and the "deductibles". We are open to a child with missing limbs, for example, but only if we know that we can provide everything that child needs. How can you find out? I saw online that prosthetic legs could be as much as $65,000. We know that with children you have to change prosthetics quite often. I feel so lost...
Welcome! I wish you great success with your Moldovan adoption. Moldova is a wonderful little country and I know you will be very blessed through your Moldova adoption. As far as you concerns ... I have ton a small amount of research on this topic. It seems that some states offer medical care through their "state ran" programs even for children adopted internationally. We are currently living outside of the US, but plan to settle in Tennessee in the next couple of years and I know that they offer this kind of care. May be something worth checking into. Best of luck!!
MommainMoldova - Thank you for all the great information!
Welcome all new posters to the thread!
My wife and I are about to have our appointment with USCIS to have our biometrics taken for our dossier. After that, we have to get our documents apostilled and sent. I was wondering if any one here is currently in the referral stage. If so, how long have you been in that stage? I'm trying to get an idea about how long it takes for Moldova and the orphanages to process them.
Advertisements
pan
MommainMoldova - Thank you for all the great information!
Welcome all new posters to the thread!
My wife and I are about to have our appointment with USCIS to have our biometrics taken for our dossier. After that, we have to get our documents apostilled and sent. I was wondering if any one here is currently in the referral stage. If so, how long have you been in that stage? I'm trying to get an idea about how long it takes for Moldova and the orphanages to process them.
We are right behind you in the process. We are waiting to hear from USCIS. I did ask our agency about the wait time and if anyone had been matched. She said Moldova just starting making referrals in January and that it takes time to get all of the kids loaded into the database. Nobody from our agency has received a referral yet. No idea what their criteria was....
JVK
Welcome! Our agency said Moldova requires you to be very specific about what you will and will not accept in terms of health concerns. We were given an exhaustive list which we then pared down.
Also, I just read that Kazagstan (I know I butchered that) is open and they are supposed to have healthier children than a lot of countries. Their children receive better healthcare...or so I read. Still could have developmental impacts from being in the orphanage, but overall they are supposed to get better care. Kids are European, Eurasian and Asian. Referrals are supposed to only take 2 months, kids as young as 12 months (maybe younger) are available for adoption.
MommainMoldova
Yes, the conditions are not good. And unfortunately like all things in Moldova, things are very "politically" influenced, which in my opinion slows the process of adoption referrals. :-(
The official language of Moldova is Romanian. So that is the primary language spoken in business and among any state-run institutions. Moldovans still wishing they lived during the Soviet Era are pretty adamant about calling it "Moldovan," but it's Romanian. There are a few "dialect" or phrase differences, but nothing you would really have to deal with during a basic conversation. The staff at the orphanages will appreciate your effort in trying to learn the language. Să-ți fie de bine!
In your observations at the orphanages, do you see a lot of special needs (aside from lack of good healthcare and developmental delays)?
Methtoo
In your observations at the orphanages, do you see a lot of special needs (aside from lack of good healthcare and developmental delays)?
For the most part here in Moldova, kids with special needs are in different orphanages than the ones without special needs. Just the way they do things here. From our observations, kids that are place from the "regular" orphanages might have some minor correctable needs, like they may need glasses, more than likely they will need some dental work done, things like that. Most of the kiddos in the orphanages are pretty small for their age, definitely below average in height and weight. More than likely they will also be a bit behind in their emotional and educational development. All things that can be worked through, in my opinion. Hope this helps answer your question! :-)
Advertisements
Congratulations and Best Wishes. Also, my thanks for the insight that you have been providing regarding the orphanage situation. It is much appreciated.
Is there a difference between a referral and a match?
And, who matches you with a child, is it something done in Moldova or is your agency who does it?
JVK - The words referral and match are synonymous. Our agency explained the referral process this way. The agency submits our international dossier to the adoption committee in Moldova. Within 30-60 days, the adoption committee makes three or four referrals. Then the coordinator goes to the orphanages and gathers the information about these children. She then returns to the adoption committee and the committee decides which one of these children to offer to the adoptive family. If the adoptive family agrees, then they are invited to go and complete the adoption. If the family says no, then another one of the original referrals is made to the family and so on.
I hope that helps.
Advertisements
MommainMoldova
Just found out that our home study is scheduled for June 15th!!! Excited, but very nervous!!! :cheer:
Good luck!
Thank you for the information. Did your agency indicate if any referrals have been offered under the new laws that went into effect on February 1?