Advertisements
Advertisements
tnlmommy2b
I have been hearing recently on various threads about foster parents being denied to adopt their foster children. I have even heard of some appealing the decision. I was shocked by this because being foster/adopt we we were lead to believe if any of our foster kiddos become available we have the first choice to adopt if bio family has been ruled out obviously. Does anyone know why this happens? I am just wondering.
My daughter's fm wanted to adopt H and was denied. I was kind of surprised that someone could be good enough to foster but not good enough to adopt. But if the child has needs (especially future needs for medical care..etc) that the current foster parent can't meet, or if the foster parent had an illness that would prevent them from living until the child reached adulthood, I could understand it. A 65 year old would be fine to foster a 3 year old-but would it be wise to adopt? She would be in her mid 70's when the child was a teenager. She would be in her 80's when the child graduated from college. Age shouldn't be the only factor (especially if there is other family who could step up in the event that a parent dies) but I can see how it would affect a decision to let the person adopt.
ETA: I think foster children should be adopted by their foster parents if it's a good fit. Moving a child is never the 'best' plan. It should only happen when it's the ONLY option left. But I am really glad I was chosen to adopt H. She is a joy. I can't imagine life without her. I felt bad for her FM but she really did belong in my family.