Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I noticed this topic is a couple weeks old, but that no one had responded.
First, you should only add a child to your family if you feel that your family is incomplete; that is, only adopt again if you want a child.
We did want two children. We had hoped to adopt again when DS was 3, but his adoption was more expensive than we had hoped, and then DH lost his job, and then we started the process when he was 4, but didn't actually match successfully until DS was almost 6. I was 35 when DD was born.
For DS, it was very important to him to have another "brown" child in the family. On my side, we have no color at all. DH has biracial cousins, but they live across the country. DS really wanted a baby sister who was brown like him.
My mom passed away in 2009. Even though I've never gotten along with my sister, I can't imagine going through all of that without her. I know DH often worries about his parents - he's an only child, and we live far away from them. If he had a sibling, s/he might be able to live closer. (Of course, my sister moved to FL leaving us here taking care of my mom and dad... but that's a whole other issue.)
We went very much into debt with this second adoption, in part because we had to add a room onto our house. DS doesn't always like being the older brother and having a baby around. It's very hard having kids so far apart in age, as they really can't play together, and they have very different needs.
I don't know if this helps you at all, but it is just one perspective.
:hippie: