Advertisements
Advertisements
Our daughter has had 2 PRTF stays and one was 9 months and one was 3. They NEVER took our subsidy. She is now in foster care due to HER behavior no abuse, neglect, etc and they are saying they are going to take our subsidy and charge us child support. A friend found this:
[url=http://www.nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/factsheets/childsupportenforcement.html]NACAC | Adoption Subsidy[/url]
What do you think? Does it hold water?
From what I can gather, I think you'll probably end up keeping the subsidy...but be required to pay child support. It does not matter when a teenager enters the foster-care system (or the juvenile justice system, for that matter) whether it's because of her own behavioral problems or because of parental abuse/neglect...parents are generally held financially responsible for child support in both scenarios.
My own mother signed me over to the state when I was 15 years old...and then spent years complaining about how much I cost her in terms of child support. I finally got fed up with her holding it over my head, and I repaid her every single penny, plus interest, by the time I was 21.
I think it really depends on the state and county you live in. I know my son's aparents placed him in RTCs, group homes, and mental hospitals from the ages of 13 to 18...and they never spent one dime on child support. The state of California picked up the entire tab, even though my son was relinquished at birth, was born completely healthy, and had no physical or mental problems the first few years of his life.
Advertisements
She has a long history of mental illness. I truly believe our lives are in danger of being forever altered by false accussations and her KNOWING now she can do this whenever she gets mad.
When a child is placed in foster care, the parents are almost always charged with child support. Doesn't matter if it is due to abuse or neglect on their part or not.
I've seen both scenarios regarding whether you'll be allowed to keep the subsidy or not. I know one case where the adoptive parents were in danger and the child's mental state was unbearable for the entire family. The mental health workers who counseled him suggested he reside in residential for the safety of the family. They did this; but were later charged for child support AND, they lost the subsidy.
I've also known of a case where the family placed the child in residential and DCF wasn't happy about it. The family did this on their own because their local DCF refused to help---even though the child had been hospitalized and counseled. Here again, the professionals suggested the kid go into residential and not reside with a traditional family.
They were allowed to keep the subsidy (and even tried----twice----to give it back to the state). The state refused. They were never charged for child support because DCF was not involved at all.
I honestly think it depends on the area/state and how the local CPS looks at things. I've seen it vary too much to think child support is standard stuff; though I do understand how the state would take away the subsidy as the child is no longer living in the home, KWIM?
It's a tough call; but honestly------if your home is unbearable and unsafe when your dd is there, losing the subsidy or even paying child support may be the easier thing to do. Please don't think I'm minimizing this at all; I know from friends of ours, the child support is tough to pay---very tough. But they also know their family is now safe.
They can't put a price tag on that.
Good luck.
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
I'm just now seeing this....been away from this forum for awhile.
I can fully understand the reommendation to sever your parental rights. This is something that's often done when the child will not be able (probably never BE able) to live in a traditional home setting.
I know this is a painful decision to consider. I hope your family is able to come to terms with whatever you decide (or decided).
Most Sincerely,
Linny