Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hrmnnnn...this sounds pretty familiar.
I also have a three year old foster son. When he first came to me at 2 1/2, they told me he was no longer napping. By 4 or 5pm, he was a complete monster. He also has attachment and behavioral issues. We start play therapy this week.
I knew he needed naps because when he did fall asleep in the car around what would be nap time, he slept for two plus hours. He was a joy after he had a nap.
So I started making him take naps by laying down with him and holding him in place. It first took 45 min to get him to fall asleep...over about a two month period it decreased, he now falls asleep in about 10min. He used to fight it, yelling at me, head butting me, kicking, crying and screaming. The child has to know that you will not give in. Its very hard in the beginning.
When he started daycare/preschool they have naptime as well. At first they couldnt get him to lay down. Finally they discovered his weakness...playing with cars. I asked him what happens if he doesnt nap at school, he says "No nap, I get no cars"
He naps every day now :) Everyone is happy.
Also, my previous foster son had night terrors. I noticed when he got a good nap during the day, he had no terrors at night. I think he was just overtired.
Best of luck to you!