Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
annamc15
She's 3... . And only 'real schools' not daycares are required to care about any special needs a child might have. I work in special Ed and we get kids into our special Ed preschool because they got kicked out of every daycare within a 50 mile radius all the time.
As someone who works in an NAEYC accredited day care, I have to jump in and say that a developmentally appropriate day care is definitely supposed to take individual needs into consideration when implementing daily routines and activities.
Our state requires that children "rest" for at least 40 minutes each day, but they do not have to sleep. Beyond that 40 minutes, other options are available for children such as quiet activities in a separate area of the room or in another room if necessary. I agree that consequences such as not being able to go outside are pretty unreasonable.
I think you explained the situation very well in your post. Perhaps using the same explanation in a meeting with the director of the day care, the teachers and, if at all possible, your child's therapist would be a good way to come up with some strategies that work for everyone.