Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hmm, this situation is a tough one. On one hand it's completely understandable that different children have different needs, however I also understand that the preschool may not have the resources to deal with everyone's differing needs so they are forced to develop and adhere to a 'one size fits all' sort of schedule. My son broke his arm early during the school year and his preschool class had outside playground play worked into the schedule. The teacher told me that, since he wasn't allowed to run and play he would have to sit quietly against the wall and watch the others play. I asked if there was another place he could go for that hour and they, quite sympathetically, told me no. He HATED that hour for the first four or so weeks of school because he'd have to play quietly with his cars instead of running and jumping like the other kids.
Ordinarily, I'd be completely okay with a child having the option of reading a book or doing a puzzle quietly for a couple hours - after all, they have to learn that rules are rules, even if the rules are stupid and not fair -but in this case she is THREE and that is awfully young to be sitting quietly for two hours. Also, children NEED to run and play so the punishment of taking away outside playtime isn't going to be beneficial for her or teach her anything.
Sorry, I have no good advice to give, but I do sympathize. :-/