Advertisements
Advertisements
I got the referral for the 8yo to be eval'd for an autism spectrum disorder. I also was able to speak to the psychologist at the foster care clinic (something I wanted desperately). They want him to have the "gold standard" eval because of his history and...the below.
Anyway, she didn't see kid, but....
But when we were talking, she did let me know that some kids' behaviors suggest autism when it is really how the PTSD is exhibited.
I found that very interesting. You probably don't remember... but I disrupted, within 24 hours, on a young sibling group because the boy seemed moderately/severely autistic (and because with 8 or 9 kids in our home, I feel I need to stick with behaviors, not developmental issues). Well, turns out he wasn't. His behavior was due to SA.
Anyway, both providers today suggested that he may be too much for us in our current circumstances. They really thought it may be best for our family and me if we disrupted. They said it would be better for the kids to do it sooner than when we're thinking, "get this kid out of here NOW!" The psychologist said she'd talk to our agency if we needed....
But I keep thinking there have been times I've felt overwhelmed in the past by a child's (or group of kids') behaviors. Maybe we can stick this out...Maybe we *can* help.
You have a lot of kiddos in the home. I can imagine he would have a hard time competiting for the attention he really needs with so many other younger kiddos.
Advertisements
I am convinced that foster kids are frequently misdiagnosed with ASDs, ADHD, ADD, etc when the true culprit is PTSD.
For further reading, check the work of Victor Carrion, professor Psychiatry & Behavioral Science - Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Stanford: [url=http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/psychiatry/frdActionServlet?choiceId=facProfile&fid=4587]CAP - Victor Carrion[/url]
Interesting.....
I had a placement that was diagnosed PDD-NOS when she came to me (5 months into care). After she was at my house 12 months she no longer met the PDD-NOS criteria. I think she is really PTSD as she is exhibiting huge impulse issues 9 months later.
I know she was exposed to multiple incidence of domestic violence and the whole trauma of being removed from the home and separated from siblings probably contributed to the PTSD.
This gives me new discussion points for the next visit to the shrink:)
I also think autism is a a fall back diagnosis when a kid is so traumatized and has no coping skills, that they introvert.
We were told one of our FS was autistic or had Aspergers. No... he's MRDD and ADHD, and couldn't cope with all the chaos in his life. Not to mention the trauma and neglect he had suffered in such a short life.
Stability and then a proper eval after several months to a year of stability will more likely get you the true answer to what's going on IMO.
Also, there is always the adjusting when new members enter the household. I would tend to stick it out until everything settles as long as everyone's safe.. but only you know your limits.
Not a foster parent, but DS is diagnosed with autism and we really think it's PTSD combined with extreme neglect. That said...I work with kids with autism, and PTSD is just as difficult to deal with as autism. In some ways, it's harder. I think it would be pretty hard to meet my son's needs with many other young children...I'm still working on DH for #2 ;)
Advertisements
Adoptsis
That said...I work with kids with autism, and PTSD is just as difficult to deal with as autism.
Please note, I wasn't suggesting one is easier/more difficult to deal with than the other.
My concern is that each diagnosis comes with its own treatment plan and if diagnosis "X" requires a pharmaceutical treatment while diagnosis "Y" requires behavior modification and diagnosis "Z" requires play therapy... well, it's just an all around good idea to get the diagnosis right. ;)
Thanks y'all....
Well, agency worker came today. I told her what they said. She was really surprised. I told her I was *very* honest with them about how we all were doing.
However, they did discuss some other things with me that I discussed with her. Regular respite, afterschool daycare a couple days per week, etc may all be options. I also told her that I want the adoption worker to continue working on a home for them. If they are here and available six or twelve months from now and we want them, great. But it would stink to wait a year to even try to find them a home. They will not be an easy placement (the oldest's issues being only once concern). And if we decide too late we could have made it work forever, that is our loss...But if we decide that we can't, I would want the wheels to be turning in their favor. ANd they DO have some good points too. Really. I *like* these kids.
Anyway, so we'll see. I just don't want to make ANY decisions right now...other than the decision to continue to do my best with them.