Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I got the referral for the 8yo to be eval'd for an autism spectrum disorder. I also was able to speak to the psychologist at the foster care clinic (something I wanted desperately). They want him to have the "gold standard" eval because of his history and...the below.
Anyway, she didn't see kid, but....
But when we were talking, she did let me know that some kids' behaviors suggest autism when it is really how the PTSD is exhibited.
I found that very interesting. You probably don't remember... but I disrupted, within 24 hours, on a young sibling group because the boy seemed moderately/severely autistic (and because with 8 or 9 kids in our home, I feel I need to stick with behaviors, not developmental issues). Well, turns out he wasn't. His behavior was due to SA.
Anyway, both providers today suggested that he may be too much for us in our current circumstances. They really thought it may be best for our family and me if we disrupted. They said it would be better for the kids to do it sooner than when we're thinking, "get this kid out of here NOW!" The psychologist said she'd talk to our agency if we needed....
But I keep thinking there have been times I've felt overwhelmed in the past by a child's (or group of kids') behaviors. Maybe we can stick this out...Maybe we *can* help.