Advertisements
Advertisements
Sharon mostly said it. It is hard, but luckily at 41, you aren't too old, it would be at least 6 years before a UK agency would start to worry about age, and there is no upper age limit. International countries on the other hand usually have legal age limits
You need to be resident in the UK for I think either 1 or 2 years before you are eligible to begin an adoption. Support networks are important - I rely on mine a lot as a single adopter, and I would not have made it this far without them. They will therefore need you to have supportive close friends near you, and you need time to make them before applying. I think this is definitely the area you would struggle with, but with a few years it might be doable
When deciding where to live, you need to factor in other things than just jobs, especially if you are considering a child - you mentionned London. If you are going to return to work after adoption and you adopt a younger child, you need childcare. Nurseries in London can be hideously expensive. 750/month minimum and that is very cheap for London. Some areas, plan on it costing over ã1400/month which is 17K a year ($27K a year). You need a job which would cover that, plus all your living costs and house costs. London living costs can be very high. I know a woman in SE London with little (under 1) twins - if she put them in her nearest nursery full time it would cost ã42,000 (over $67,600) a year!! So just research and bear in mind other costs you might incur when moving to a new country
Post adoption support is variable, ranging from very high to nothing, depending on which council/VA you adopt through