Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all, I hope I can get some help. I am an Irish South African and my husband and I have lived as expats abroad for some years now. We have just returned to Ireland only to decide to divorce :(
My priority (which is one of the reasons we are divorcing - my Dh would not consider divorce after our IVF failed) is now to adopt. Ironically Ireland allows an estranged partner to adopt so it would be perfect but there are NO jobs here and Ill need to start my life over more or less from scratch and will need to find a good job.
Im now faced with moving yet again. I want to make my decision based entirely on adoption and the needs of the new child.
I have a few options .....
1- Ireland - domestic adoption rare and difficult and no regular job so unlikely to be approved.
2- UK - Local adoption is getting easier, and there are jobs, but they place a huge emphasis on "support". Basically if you dont have any family or long term friends they deem a single woman to be unable to cope without support. They are probably right but sadly our expat life means we have been on the move and my Dh is leaving me anyway, so in all circumstances my family are far away and Ill need to work hard at establishing myself from scratch once again.
3- South Africa - Could I adopt from UK or Ireland (or anywhere??) and do they accept single women? I only read about married and widowed being permitted. I have emailed the local adoption authority there but no answer.
In terms of all the other international adoptions - Asia, eastern europe etc - I wonder if they would be as strict as the Uk regarding having no family nearby to support me?
Also, what does it cost? and how long does it take?
It is a huge incentive to go the UK route as its free and is being speeded up.
When I decide where / how then I will move, job hunt and start putting down roots. Its very hard to know what to do next.
Thanks for any help.