Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Carmen
Thanks so much for your reply. Im glad to see that we can be matched to children across the country and not limited to our area. And that there is a process of choosing and some choice in the matter. But, I'm really saddened by the emphasis they may place on colour and 'ethnicity' because in the UK and particularly big cities like London, there are so many mixed families, and children from mixed parentage everywhere. In South Africa most white or middle class families will expect to adopt a black baby, or even an HIV orphan.
In the UK I understand that there is a critical shortage of Asian and Caribbean adoptees and it seems a pity to me that those children will stay in care because the keen adopter may be different. I can totally understand when it comes to religious differences with older children, but shouldnt matter too much with a baby.
I am a white SAfrican but I have lived in the Uk, Ireland and Middle east for the past 14 years and am also Buddhist and feel more connected to asian cultures and way of life than the standard anglo-christian lifestyle and belief system. Im quite international really and also very sensitive to the Muslim way of life as I lived all over the middle east. Not sure what they will do with me!?! It is the buddhist centres with strong network where I hope to establish good support networks.
I have went to a tri-borough London social worker's adoption talk one night and they seemed really super, but I have read some mixed stories online where some people have had torrid experiences with some social workers.
I wonder if I end up in a town which is too small Ill be limited to just one social worker and perhaps a restricted set of choices, or even discrimination because I dont fit into the preferred ethnicity. The London Borough actually had a few Irish children on their statistics chart so that could be an option. But I dont mind what colour or ethnicity so being open minded and flexible may be to my advantage.
Thanks again for your help.