Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My son has expressed to me that he doesn't really like celebrating his birthday. He doesn't say it's adoption related, but I sometimes wonder if it is. Since we reunited, I am so happy to be able to send him gifts and a card. Knowing now, though, that he doesn't make a big deal out if his birthday, I keep the gifts simple. He does appreciate them, but I think if I got too overboard with it, he'd feel uncomfortable.
I don't know if his parents did the whole "gotcha day" thing. I hope to god not! I mean, it's one thing to have a separate celebration of when he became part of their family, but if it replaced his birthday and they called it "gotcha day" I'd find that to be horrific.
I do have a friend who is close friends with an adoptee. Her adoptive parents did not celebrate her actual birthday, but rather the day they "got" her. That bothered me when I heard about it as a kid, long before I had my own son. The mere thought that my son's parents could possibly do the same really upset me.
P.S. Chickadee, I haven't been on here in a long time and just got your PM yesterday. I did respond to it, so you may wish to check your PMs.