Advertisements
Advertisements
Maybe the sticker isn't concrete enough (for her or for STAS?)
AS is having similar behavior issues at school lately and his teacher has a tool in place b/c she sees this kind of thing A LOT.
She uses a small sheet of paper (like maybe a quarter or half a regular sheet) and prints out a chart on them that has the day's "schedule" of activities. For each activity, there is a picture and the word so the kids can learn to read, etc. too. After each section of the day, the teacher takes a second to put a sticker on the chart if the kid did well. If he didn't, no sticker.
At the end of the day, they take a minute and go over the chart, the teacher reinforces any times when the kid did great (like sharing a toy or helping a friend), and talks about why there's no sticker on a certain activity (well, remember you punched your friend at lunchtime? that wasn't a good choice, was it? Let's try again tomorrow).
AS is trying hard to get all 8 stickers on his chart, b/c if he does, he gets an extra for his shirt.
So his chart is something like:
Circle time
Outside time
Snack
Reading
Lunch
Centers (indoor play)
Circle time
(He's in preschool, so I'm sure kindy has a different schedule, but you get the idea.)
So far, it's working. He does ask what if he doesn't get any stickers one day. I don't see that happening.
The teacher also suggested doing something similar at home, and trying to have a regular routine at home to help reinforce it. I am trying to come up with our biggest trouble spots here at home to put on the chart (like getting dressed the first time I ask, washing hands WITH SOAP, clean-up time, story time (he likes to be silly and interrupt), bed time, etc.)
I think it's worth a try. DS "can't remember" why he misses out on a sticker here and there, but he can see the chart and see where one is missing and that will help him "remember" a bit better than just "I got a sticker today, don't know why...."