Advertisements
Advertisements
Kiddo (he turned 7 a month after placement) had absolutely horrible behavior at school (and home too). Maybe he's destined to be an engineer because we discovered everything needed to be very precise and clear. His teacher and I came up with a behavior chart for the day and he could earn up to 14 happy faces a day.
14-stay up an extra 15 minutes, choose dinner among x choices
13-choose dinner among x choices
12-keep everything
11-lose DS (he was ADDICTED to this thing)
10-lose DS, TV
9-lose DS, TV, outside
8-lose DS, TV, outside, toys (except books)
7 and below-straight to bed after dinner because not enough sleep makes for cranky days.
When I would pick him up, he could tell me exactly what kind of evening he'd be having. Same days were bad because we all have bad days but 12 became pretty standard and 13/14 became regular. He made giant strides in his school performance and started making some friends. His teacher and all his school service providers were completely on board with making changes to support him, including the decision to use 123 Magic tools at school and home so things were consistent as possible for him. If the teacher can't/won't do her part then it's just not going to work. I second (or third...) the idea of setting up a face to face meeting with her, the principal and any other school service providers.