Advertisements
Advertisements
I'll chime in as a teacher and a parent, too. Please keep in mind that the make-up of the class sometimes makes it very, very difficult for a teacher to invest the consistent time she needs for one child's specific behavior needs. Not saying it should be that way, but the reality of how thin we can be stretched is there nonetheless. I know that I've had classes where I absolutely would be on board with whatever sticker charts, etc. a parent had in mind if my usual motivational materials/plan weren't working, but I've also had classes where the make-up of kids and issues were kryptonite to getting much educating done at all. Sure, I can do these fifteen sticker charts, and those ten reward charts, and do all the tracking paperwork for SpEd, and with twenty of them getting pulled in and out in rotations for a billion different things, no one in here will learn to read... It's very frustrating for the teacher, too, because they can't tell a parent that. Then you get into how supportive the admin is in balancing these issues between rooms also balanced against SpEd paperwork requirements like aides and modifications, etc. There's just so much at play. Working in several districts has given me quite a bit of insight into how good things can be and how effective teachers can be when schools are managed with reason and care, and also unfortunately how difficult things can be and how tied teachers' hands can become when things are managed based on paper and theory policies only. Just a thought to keep in your mind as you interact and try to vet out which scenario you are working with.
Now, that said, being told she'd do a color chart and then not doing it, is not okay. You can't help if you're in the dark, and she may simply be inexperienced or a poor teacher after all. Just in case, tempering your concerns when requesting your face to face meeting with, "I'm not sure if it's the make-up of the class, or what may be going on..." allows you to be gracious until you've got a good bead on what really is going on. If it turns out to be inexperience or ineptitude, asking to be moved to another class is always an option.