Advertisements
Advertisements
We are doing so much painting and renovating to the rooms, and have a lot to do last minute. I pulled weeds 2 weeks ago and there were ZERO left. Then...it rained....ALOT. Now every grass free space is covered with a thick patch of short bright green weeds. To make it worst, there are dead dried up worms COVERING every inch of cement in the front driveway/walkway and back porch.
Are they going to be worried about this, or should this be the last thing on our list after finishing putting furniture together, putting molding back up in the bathroom (painted), sealing around the tub, putting closet doors and polls back up, cleaning up the garage (all the bad stuff out) and the normal chores......so much to do and I have NOT stopped for a few days. Literally like 6am-9pm, and waking up worrying about stuff at like 4am.....the only time I stop is to run errands, appointments and eating etc. (and of course I get on here when I take my food breaks! :clap: ). When you had your home inspection did you have a slightly unmowed lawn and fresh weeds or any other eye sore?
Omg I still drive myself crazy cleaning. Once you have a placement you'll probably feel under constant threat of a surprise or short notice visit. When all our placements were babies, I would do all my cleaning from 9 to midnight, because the youngest would eat at midnight then sleep through to six. And I had no time to clean during the day.
I would mostly worry about the inside, unless you have a back yard and kids old enough to play out there. We just had an inspection and we have dead grass, tons of weeds, and a half finished rock project out front. They didn't even ask about it. We also had a big rusty looking spot around the furnace in the basement, where the a/c leaked. I couldn't get DH to clean it up in time, so I just hoped for the best. They didn't notice or mention that either.
I think as long as there's I filth or danger, you'll be ok. But I know the stress of wanting it to all be perfect!
Advertisements
My normal IS thoroughly clean. I wash bedding, vacuum, dust, clean bathrooms and kitchen every week. I have actually been neglecting those to get the renovations done! I will be spending the day tomorrow weeding and mowing. I finished the painting today and hubby is putting the beds together as I type (with favors promised for later tonight in exchange ;) ). He put the closets back together earlier. So after I finish the yard work tomorrow he will have to seal the tub base (we put in a new tub, but the old tile is about 1/4 from it and we don't have the cash to re-tile yet as previously planned before we spent our savings on furniture), put the door molding back on and put up the tp holder and towel holders. Sunday I will do chores and he will put stuff away in the shed and garage and sweep up, and then we should be okay. Besides the fact that I haven't cooked in forever. Oi.
rooms are done! are we allowed to keep the toys in boxes on the top of the closet? Our rules say no storing in the room, but we don't know what ages the kids will be, so how do we stock it properly? :arrow:
Our front yard is mid conversion. We have projects half finished and it's not as nice as it should be. However, the SW overlooked it. It's clear we are working on it, our backyard is nice, so she didn't seem bothered.
On the morning of my home inspection the shower door in the master bedroom fell off - right on to me - couldn't get it back on, so I hung a shower curtain in front of it and closed it. She never looked behind it curtain...phew
Meanwhile my air conditioner stopped completely - working one minute, the next nothing - it was JULY in TEXAS....
Then, just as she was suppose to be arriving my cat brought a LIVE gecko into the house....
All was good - no issues - I received my license.
So don't sweat the small stuff, focus on safety and major issues - it will be alright.
Advertisements
We got everything done! Just have to put a few things in the attic above the garage ad sweep the garage. Our home is no longer a neglected mess (due to the reno's we were doing, not due to normal mess). I feel a lot better now, but I am still a nervous reck! :) I am so worried we could say something and it be taken the wrong way and ruin our chances or get us a poor homestudy! AD I am worried with the Holidays that the Agency will slack off and not license us this month, and we won't get kids for a long time. I desperately wat kids NOW!!! Hehehe Good thing is, is where I am, they often place after homestudy and don't wait for the official license, because the need is astronomical. So, add me to the list of those "patiently" waiting! :D
(Prayers please!)
I have read that people have had multiple homestudies. They didn't say anything about another one???? But he said it will be 4 hours plus inspection. Did everyone's add up to that long and they were just separated, or are there multiple 4 hour homestudies ad they just have't said anything about another one? Freaking out now! It is at 1, prayers please!
ETA: the letter N. It seems my letter N is going out and I need a new keyboard! :)
You will be fine. The social workers aren't looking to nit pick, they just want to make sure your house and yards are safe for a child. We worried ourselves to death about things, and honestly most of the things we did, the worker didnt even question or look at. I think we get over worried about someone coming into our home and judging every aspect of our lives. I would just take a walk through of your home, and see if there are things that would be unsafe for a child.
You are going to be so let down when you find out that they barely care about any of the things you worked on. Do you have fire alarms, meds and guns locked up and very few, if any, dead people in the closets or refridgerator? If so, you will be fine.
Advertisements
koollizzy222
I finished the painting today and hubby is putting the beds together as I type (with favors promised for later tonight in exchange ;) .
HA! Yea...enjoy THAT while you can...at least, without kids in the house who will demand your every waking moment...or make you too tired......or give you NO privacy!! LOL
the inspection went fine, but the homestudy is still going on for my husband. they might have a problem with me not having enough therapy growing up to deal with my dads phys. abuse. I went from 11-13, but apparently that isn't enough? My dad is dead and we had a great relationship before he died, and part of the reason I stopped therapy was because we did coping skills stuff and taught me how to cope and destress and be healthy....so what's the problem? says they may require more therapy first! 12 years later?
koollizzy222
the inspection went fine, but the homestudy is still going on for my husband. they might have a problem with me not having enough therapy growing up to deal with my dads phys. abuse. I went from 11-13, but apparently that isn't enough? My dad is dead and we had a great relationship before he died, and part of the reason I stopped therapy was because we did coping skills stuff and taught me how to cope and destress and be healthy....so what's the problem? says they may require more therapy first! 12 years later?
Now I could understand if they ask for a Psych Eval just to cover all of the bases and know that you have dealt with past abuses. But to require more therapy just because someone determined it could not have been enough? Or that this is somehow effecting your ability to parent? Geezzzzz
He asked my husband if he would be willing to go to therapy for seeing his parents dv a couple times (ending when my husband pinned his father to the wall and threatened him with bodily violence if he ever so much as raised his hand again, at age 11). I saw a therapist today and she said the guy had obviously never been in or around real trauma, cause the whole point of therapy is to teach you to deal on your own and then get you out of therapy. Not go for 20 years. Oh, and side note, not only did he ask my hubs if we are sexually compatible (didn't ask me) he asked him if he was satisfied! AND asked my husband about anything he did with old girlfriends (didn't ask me) and asked him how he dealt with the shame and guilt. My hubbs was like ummm (I wasn't ashamed and guilty, I was an 18 year old man!) instead said he talked to me about it since we met right after. Come on, who hasn't had a steamy make-out now and then as a teen? Weird right? For the home inspection we had to get a land-line, a trigger lock for an air soft gun (whatever!) and a fireplace cover....for a non used fireplace....those are easy, but therapy will delay us past this month for certification and THAT will seriously piss me off. Already got the land-line by the way. Last night! hehe, we want kids BADLY!.
Advertisements
our homestudy she never even walked around our house! The first case worker did and she just pointed out what needed fixing and when the home study came she just asked is it done? I know our homestudy is done we are just finishing our classes and thats all we are wainting on to be liesenced! As long as the inside is clean you should be good to go! Its winter so most grass is dead or close to it no worries!!!
You have got to be kidding me that they asked all that stuff and insinuated all that! I can't get over how insulted and pissed I would have been. I guess that is one of the benefits of doing this purely for fostering with no intent to grow our family. There is a limit to how far my "social obligation to give back" goes and that is way way past it! Sorry you were put through that. Hopefully if he has to do anything to delay your homestudy he will have to get his supervisors approval and his supervisor will set him straight. My lord! That is so invasive!