Advertisements
Advertisements
I was planning to do the accelerated protocol of the Newman Goldfarb induced lactation protocols not using BCP but only progesterone. Emom's due date was January 22nd. This week they changed her due date to end of December. So...I now am behind and have less than 30 days.
The earliest I will be able to get my prescription for domperidone is Tuesday. Can start progesterone today. I am wondering if the mom does proceed with the adoption plan should I just bottle feed for the first week or two so I can do the domperidone and progesterone a full 30 days or do you think I should just start nursing with supplementer even if I haven't been on the progesterone and domperidone a full 30 days?????
Thank you for any advice!
Hiya! I was in this sort of situation with my DS, we found out we were going to adopt him when he was already a day old. He came home with us at 13 days, and I'd only been on the accelerated protocol about a week by then b/c I'd been out of town and unable to get my prescriptions together until I got home. I did the full 30 days of BCPs and Dom together and just nursed him with a supplementer during that time. (I chose the Lact-Aid because it's better for stimulating your supply than the Medela, and because it allows more flexibility in nursing positions.)
It's totally okay to start nursing with the supplementer as soon as baby comes home with you. BCPs will suppress actual milk production during that time, so don't try to pump and don't fret if you can't hand express any milk. Once the BCPs have left your system, then your milk production will really start and will respond to the Dom, your babe's eating schedule, the herbs, and any pumping you manage to do.
I think you'd be fine doing 30 days of BCPs and adding the Dom as soon as you get it, so long as that's not more than 3-4 days. The medical reason for the BCPs+Dom combination is to simulate pregnancy hormonally so that your body will grow the milk-producing glands that are needed to feed your baby. So, you want as much time on that combo as possible, because the BCP will signal "pregnant" to your body, while the Dom will signal "grow glands". That will enable you to make as much milk as can be given the short time schedule.
Bear in mind, the purpose of the N-G protocol is to maximize milk production - some milk will come even if all you ever do is put baby to breast - but maybe never very much, especially if you've never nursed a child before. So the more time you can eke out on the BCP + Dom combo, the better you'll maximize your supply.
Hope this makes sense, gotta dash!
Advertisements
We're doing the accelerated protocol and only have a few days of leeway before Baby Girl is due. My lactation consultant said that if she comes early, before we stop bcp's, then just put her to the breast with a Lact-Aid and get her used to being at the breast, knowing that I won't produce anything. Then when i've hit my 30 days on the bcp's and dom, I can stop the bcp's and start pumping. I'm hoping to start pumping starting next weekend