Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I have adopted 2 older children and one younger sibling, but not at the same time. We are a successful and mostly happy family, with some extra issues. It's the most challenging thing I have ever done, and it's also the best. And yes, for my older two, I do have scars as well as joyful memories. But I have found I like this way of being a parent. I am thinking about adopting again even. I have a bit of advice, although I'm not a sibling group adopter.
If you have only seen short web profiles for this group, then my honest advice is not to fall head over heels with them now. If you want to adopt older children and sibling groups then you would probably be able to do that at some point, but now is premature to be picking out which children
The homestudy/classess etc are an important time for you and your husband to be thinking carefully about which children you think you could take on, as you learn more about it. You also know very very little about these children. If you recieved more information, you may quickly find that they have issues/behaviours that you cannot take on. Short profiles present a very incomplete, tiny picture and in quite a few cases they don't represent the real child at all. I think it's best to go into the adoption process with an open mind about possible children you could adopt. Of course by all means ask specifically about those children if you are drawn to them - be prepared to be told that you can't have more information without a completed home study - but decisions have to be made with your head as well as your heart. Be aware that these may not be your children.
Also, do as Linny suggests and read and talk to parents. Older child adoption isn't for everyone but it's perfect for some people, and you should get a better idea about whether this is what you want by doing that.
Good luck :)