Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
How long have you had her? If it has been since birth, then it could be from any number of inutero/birth issues. But if you haven't, then there could be some trauma/fear stacked on top. It is amazing how much an infant can be affected. Our very first kiddos 15years ago included a baby who was traumatized and it caused her issues all around for quite awhile.
Having a ds with an ASD, I can tell you that some can engage really well. So I wouldn't rule that out. However, I wanted mostly to tell you that where therapies help, I think what helped him (and Monkey with all her issues) the most was working with them myself, doing right brained learning activities, etc. Monkey, btw, tested in the 5th percentile for receptive language and 1st percentile for expressive at 11mo. She now would likely test in the very top percentiles! She does need explicit instruction/walk throughs for new things. Like I had to show her how to get the babydoll in and out of the toy stroller I bought her. We also had to TEACH her things most kids just "get" like climbing down from the couch, stepping out the door (while holding on), etc.
Anyway, we do counting, ABCs, letter sounds, Sparkabilities, etc. With my son, we did Teach Your Baby to Read (the 1960s version) which jumpstarted his speech (went from saying Mama at 22mo to signing or saying a normal amount of vocab a two year old would....at 3, articulation was the only concern). BTW, Monkey *loves* Sparkabilities (6-7min samples of each level are available on YouTube. Try Babies 2 and Toddler 1). She can now sing several parts of the ABCs and count to 8 (though she does it by counting to 4 then counting 4-8). But the thing that matters most is looking at picture books together, playing with various toys together (taking care of baby, loving on bear, figuring out how X works, dancing to the toy guitar, etc). Finger plays are good also.
Just a warning. MANY times when you're doing right brained learning, certain play things, etc you will not see progress right away. In fact, programs like Teach Your Baby to Read impress upon you not to test your kids, just keep going steady, they'll show you when they're ready. Same with speech, playing, finger plays, etc. It is okay to do 5 little monkeys forty days in a row before you get two signs from your little one. And most probably she'll surprise you with how much she does when she finally DOES do it. My son went from 2 words to 70 in about two months, but he waited the full two months to do ANY of it, from what I could see (btw, don't expect 70 words in two months. My son was older and all kids are individuals).
Okay, natives are restless....