Advertisements
Advertisements
I live in West Virginia and I want to adopt my 10 year old step son.I would have to have $1,200 to get a lawyer.I do not have that kind of money saved up.Is there a way I can adopt him without a lawyer and it is legal?Please E-mail me at karen.bucklew@yahoo.com if you have an answer for me .
Advertisements
In some states, you can do a stepparent adoption "pro-se" ("for yourself", meaning without an attorney). Call your courthouse to find out if it's allowed in your state and, if so, how to go about it. It won't be totally cost-free, as you may have to pay to acquire "originals" of certain documents. Also, some states may require a homestudy for stepparent adoptions, which means that you will need to pay for a licensed social worker's services.
Frankly, if at all possible, I'd recommend using an adoption attorney, to make sure that everything is done correctly. It could save you time and even money in the long run -- for example, if your current marriage doesn't work out, and you want to fight for custody of the child.
Sharon