Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi. My husband and I have been thinking about fostering to
adopt for a long time. We have just bought a new house and are ready to start. But, we don't know where. We know have to take classes and get a home study but we don't know what else. What agency should we use?
Help!
Same boat here. I got the literature from my county agency and after reading about it and the stuff on here I'm wondering about moving my age range younger or even if I want to deal with classes - I don't know how negative the classes are about all the problems. So maybe waiting for the money to do infant adoption is best? I know some agencies work with singles.
It's a very long process just reading the baords and considering all the different possibilities, though.
Advertisements
There are advantages and disadvantages to contracting for a county vs. a private agency.
I'm not sure what part of the state you are in.
Private agencies offer a protective layer for the foster parent that is helpful when conflicts arise.
If you want to have primarily healthy newborn placements, the counties try to place first with their own licensed families and then with privates.
Research using the internet. Communication is critical, so if you are impressed with the level of information that you are receiving from the web site, that is a plus. Speak with the foster/adoption assessors and the assesor supervisor if you can. If you have a bad gut feeling or if the worker seems unknowledgable, evasive or cold ---- factor that into your choice.
I would check out a private agency. Some limit their area to a limited amount of counties or geographic area.
The preservice classes can be rough.
When I went through the preservice classes,
there were four ministers and their wives attending. When the instructor started talking about abuse (especially sexual abuse) the ministers and their wives attending were in a state of shock! They had to go outside and compose themselves.
My foster care agency is Kids Count Too. I have had nothing but good experiences with Kids Count Too. They receive referrals from all over Ohio so you are not limited to your county.