Advertisements
Advertisements
I met with a Head Start intake worker last week about enrolling one of our foster children.
I am self-employed. She wants me to have one of my clients fill out an employment verification form as proof that I work. When I met with her, I took our tax returns from last year hoping that she could use that as proof. Unfortunately, she wasn't much of a listener.
The form uses the word 'employee'. I'm not an employee and if any of my clients filled out that form it would set them up for a huge hassle with the IRS. I'm sure it would set me up for a hassle with them, too!
I know that it's unlikely that the form would be seen by the IRS, but I don't care. I'm not willing to take any chances.
Any one else have this problem? I've met with her in person and emailed twice to explain why I can't fill out that form.
I don't even NEED the full-day care, but I also want to enroll his little sister in Early Head Start. Unfortunately, the start/end times for Head Start and Early Head Start are not the same unless I do full-day. They do not provide transportation so I would have to make numerous trips to drop off and pick up, which is not practical.
Advertisements
DH was self employed for over 20 years. When we needed to have employment verification he just filled out the papers and signed them himself. No one ever questioned anything about it and there was nothing false about it.
Why would you need to verify employment or any income? Foster children are automatically eligible for Head Start based on their personal status. I'd double check the rationale behind verifying anything with them.
hklb
Why would you need to verify employment or any income? Foster children are automatically eligible for Head Start based on their personal status. I'd double check the rationale behind verifying anything with them.
Exactly. When you are enrolling fks, you do not need to answer any questions about you or your family including employment and income.
hklb
Exactly, I just took his place placement papers to the HS office, and refused to give any personal info. I never hd any issues.
Advertisements
It's not to prove income it's to prove that I work. If you don't go to school or work then you only qualify for half-day.
That does seem fair to me. Is she right?
sopranoprincess
It's not to prove income it's to prove that I work. If you don't go to school or work then you only qualify for half-day.
That does seem fair to me. Is she right?
I don't know if she's right, but it sounds like they are making more hassle than it should be for you. Like others said, foster children qualify automatically - and that should extend to full day, but I'm not certain. Even if it doesn't, being self employed is a job and it's how you maintain a living. It should count. Is there anyone else you can talk to?
BTW- I feel like I should give a little disclaimer just in case I have mentioned that I am a SAHM in some previous post.
I am home most of the time. I have a couple of houses that I clean and an office that I clean on the weekends.
However, I also have a 3 1/2 year old who tantrums a LOT. He is also far enough behind that I cannot get him caught up quickly enough without some help since I have 5 other children (3 bios and 2 siblings to my fit thrower). He knows every detail of the movie "Ghost Rider", but doesn't know his colors, recognize the first letter of his name or how to count to 3. He doesn't even know that he IS 3.
Advertisements
i don't think you need a qualifier or a disclaimer. you may be a SAHM, but the kiddo in question is still a fk. they kind of jump to the head of the line for Head Start and qualify for everything--your life has nothing to do with it. i'd be calling the administrator to talk.
around here, we can call several people depending upon who is running the program. we have a community action program that runs HS in some areas and in others it's run by the public school system. the admin folks in both places are very knowledgeable--and barring any resolution there, you can go up the chain to the area coordinator. here we have a Regional Services Center that houses the main office for the public schools, not really sure who oversees the community action center. i do know that you can look up Head Start to find their home on the web. they have all of the rules and regs posted there.
sopranoprincess
BTW- I feel like I should give a little disclaimer just in case I have mentioned that I am a SAHM in some previous post.
I am home most of the time. I have a couple of houses that I clean and an office that I clean on the weekends.
However, I also have a 3 1/2 year old who tantrums a LOT. He is also far enough behind that I cannot get him caught up quickly enough without some help since I have 5 other children (3 bios and 2 siblings to my fit thrower). He knows every detail of the movie "Ghost Rider", but doesn't know his colors, recognize the first letter of his name or how to count to 3. He doesn't even know that he IS 3.
I'd like to chime in. Foster kids qualify for a full day of head start/preschool whether you work, go to school, or stay at home. Some workers would prefer that their foster kiddos go to school to enhance social skills and for the very reasons you mentioned like not knowing colors, unable to count but can recite movie lines.
Problem is TV was probably the babysitter in your fk's home and mom probably never took the time to teach the child simple things that the rest of us teach our kids like teaching them their colors, counting or putting a puzzle together etc.
Legally you aren't required to give any personal information such as financial, proof of employment etc. all that should be required is the paperwork that shows you are the caregiver and proof of the child's income (stipend).
Ask around and double check this info for your area. You can also call other head starts in the area And ask them what info is required if you're enrolling a foster child.
Some places are not always compliant...I'm having problems with a local elementary school.
Good luck
How about a letter from the social worker/case worker saying you are employed and foster child qualifies for head start under such and such regulations.
When my son was in foster care (prior to adoption) we registered him for Head Start, and we indeed had to show proof of income even though our income wasn't going to be factored into it (because he automatically qualified as a foster kid). I even called the head supervisor of Head Start in our region, and they verified that yes, that was correct -- they needed proof of income. We are self-employed, so I just supplied them with a signed statement from myself. LOL
Advertisements
My ffs was at head start when we first got him. He was in the all day program. To keep him in the all day program, I had to qualify (based on me working and our income). Since I work very part time, we chose to move him to a regular half day program.
The half day program did not require any for my information to qualify.
They moved him as soon as they had an opening and I did not have to pay for the all day program.
Hopefully I'll talk to her in the morning. I'll be sure to update all of you on what she says.
She did say that she already has him on the wait list for half-day, but she'll move him to the full-day list as soon as I verify that I work.