Advertisements
Advertisements
We started out with similar age and gender and race preferences. We have 4 bio sons and don't live in an extremely diverse area and thought we would not be the best adoptive resource for AA kids. We really wanted to adopt a little girl eventually and decided we would not take a placement we would not potentially be willing to adopt. (And that meant a girls.) So we said 0-4 girls, up to 2, not AA.
We are licensed for 2 and agreeable to siblings, as long as one was a girl.
Waiting was super hard. After two months of waiting, we decided to take any race because we really just wanted to help kids. I was tired of waiting. I knew we would love any child God gave us and if we were meant to adopt, then he would give us the tools to be good parents to that child.
At 4 months after being licensed, we got called for our current FD. She is our first placement (although we have been called for 2 more babies, and I told placement coordinator we were not taking any more now.) We got her at 2 weeks old from the hospital and it looks like we will be adopting her (although nothing is certain). And she is caucasian.
It just depends on where you live and the population. For us, the wait changed our race preferences, but not our gender or age preferences. And then it did not matter.