Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We got our son at 14. He actually said he loved us right from the start, and started calling us mom and dad after about 3-4 months. This was a direct placement adoption, he wanted it, and birth mother agreed to it.
However, with that being said - things do change. We had a honeymoon period for about a year. Then the attitude started. Part of it is just being a teen, but also his bio mother is all over the place. She'll be fine for awhile, and then freak out - she's an alcoholic and not so predictable.
Also, all of the family was supportive for the most part, and then all of a sudden they weren't anymore...it was really strange. We were planning a vacation out to visit his paternal grandparents, and a week before we were supposed to leave they said they were cancelling it - they didn't want to see us. Just out of nowhere. We would talk on the phone and they would talk about how grateful they were for me and my husband for giving their grandson this life that he deserved, and how we must have a halo over our heads and then nothing. They won't return my calls or emails.
Also - my son got into drugs. My husband called the cops on him and he was put into jail. This caused him to go back to bio mom for three weeks. Now he won't call me mom, but will call my husband dad. And he won't say I love you anymore either, except for every once in a while, and mainly with my husband.
So it's been a roller coaster for sure. Congrats on your new sons!