Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Glad it's working out for you. For this age, if I need something done, I often present it like this:
"When you have put the blocks away, we will have lunch/go to park/play tag."
Ask child to get dressed. Before child says "no", add, "When you are done, we're going to ..." and list some of the things that will happen today. At this point, remove yourself from the situation (if safe; if not, remove your attention to examining things on a bookshelf).
Even better, don't ask to get dressed if you know that will warrant a "NO!" -- lay clothes on bed, and say "Here are your clothes. When they are on, we are going to ...." If child says, "No, I'm not getting dressed," respond in a low key way, "Oh! Okay then, I guess we won't be able to ...." and walk away.
Basically, if you can get these littles looking forward to the next thing, and present things in a way that there isn't a yes/no answer, you will minimize battles :-). We take this age a lot!
Edited to add: SO glad things worked out -- seems like a great first placement! We did quite a bit of relief when we started out -- gave us an idea of where we had skills ... and where we didn't lol.