Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Sorry I am late to this thread. I just wanted to say that for my Munchkin, we had a similar pattern. he was insane after visits with his Dad, and it got to the point where we had 6 days of behaviors (and you could tell when the visit was by the intensity of the behavior each day, OK on day 1, crazy day 2, insane day 3 and 4, then slowly decreasing) that ended just in time for the next visit.
We started with a non-stimulant, then added a stimulant (which didn't work well) then added a mood stabilizer, then switched to a new stimulant. We ended up on 3 different medications, given at various doses 4 times a day. It didn't help that his metabolism is really fast and he burns through meds that should last 12 hours in 4-6.
Honestly, what I have found is that the non-stimulant allowed him to think, the stimulant allowed him to control his impulses, and the mood stabilizer helps to control the mood swings he gets from being able to process all of the stuff that used to get ignored. He also cries and whines a lot now because he understands but doesn't know what to do with all the emotions he now has to process, even though they aren't swinging as much.
I hate that he is on so many, but when they are balanced correctly he is a great kid. We can tell which is wearing off by his behaviors. I know they say we overmedicate foster kids (though Munchkin is adopted) but honestly, after all they have been through and a lot of times with the drugs, alcohol, or neglect, sometimes they just need it until they are old enough to learn to control it.
Add to all of that the fact that their little lives are out of their control, and they need the help.
Good luck, and keep trying. It can take 6 months to a year to find the right dosage and combinations.