Advertisements
Advertisements
So DH and I finally got the seemingly slow process started for adoption from our local DSS (We are in SK). :)
We are looking at 0-10 so far, but we don't have anything set in stone until we talk with a worker, though definitely willing to take a sibling group. Very excited!!
Basically how it works here is we have to fill out some paperwork for a referral with the ASCS (Adoption Support Centre of Saskatchewan). They give our names to DSS, then they set up a meeting with a social worker, and it sort of goes from there, though we were told homestudy waits right now are 1-2 years. Yikes!!! Apparently other provinces move a lot faster? Our province is not very forthcoming with any real information on adoption via DSS so it's really tough to know where we stand until we talk to someone face to face.
The ASCS gave us some general information but they couldn't give us too many specifics, unfortunately (not their fault, it's the way the system is). Private adoptions here are apparently very rare, and we don't have our hearts set on a baby so our wait should be "a bit" faster, but no one really knows. SK only does something like 75-100 adoptions a year and from what we understand, the last time the waiting list stats were posted, there was 250 families on the list.
I hope it doesn't take us too long!
Has anyone else gone through adoption in SK anytime in the last couple years? I'm curious how long your wait is/was, and what age/gender/special needs you chose.
I am doing the process in northern ontario. We did the PRIDE training and we are currently finishing our homestudy. Here's hoping its going to go by faster so we can have our little one(s) home with us soon. I am hoping Christmas, but it could just be a pipe dream lol
Advertisements
Hey MellyG!
I know this post is older but my DH and I just started the process in February and I'm looking for any info I can get from other SK Parents (in-waiting!). How did your story turn out? Did you end up adopting domestically in SK and if so, how long did you wait to be released from the first wait list?
Thanks!
We are no longer pursuing it. I feel that if you have any other options, short of stealing a kid off a playground ;), you should pursue those first.
Last update on May 20, 5:40 pm by MellyG.
Stephanie,
Are you adopting ' Domestically ' or from Foster Care??
You are running both programs together, and they are 2 separate ' Journeys' or Programs.
Sorry Juli, I'm not sure where I've said anything to show that I'm combining the processes in my head but we are adopting domestically in Saskatchewan, not through foster care. We're on the first waiting list which we will be released from based on the adoptive needs in the province. I'm just looking to see how long others had to wait on the first list!
Stephanie
Advertisements
The ' Original Poster ' was choosing to Adopt from Foster Care.
Foster Care is no cost to Adoption??
Domestic you pay the entire cost as Parents and a Family
Everything is different from province to province.
I think she means they are adopting a baby, from someone within province (all adoptions in SK are handled by DSS last I had been informed). THAT is quite the wait. And it costs you, you're right.
Foster care adoption can be (typically is) shorter and typically free or close to it,, though a 3-5 year wait, generally speaking. Obviously there's always exceptions.
Domestic adoptions are probably in the 5-7 year range.....fairly rare. And that's AFTER you get released to be on the approved list for a child, which can take up to 7 years itself.
A friends adoption of her son (newborn) cost her somewhere in the $40,000 range but she was in Alberta, through a non-gov't agency, and adopted via the US system....
Friends of ours completed PRIDE here, are open to older kids, and still do not have a child, 3 years later.
Last update on May 21, 5:43 pm by MellyG.
We have 2 Friends from Winnipeg. Who Both Adopted Little Girls from Ethiopia or Internationally!!
The second Family Adopted a second child from Colombia I think as well also Internationally!!
Our State in the United States is privatizing Foster Care , but they haven't Publicly said what the existence or the Future would hold!!
' Keep The Faith ' please!!