Advertisements
Advertisements
This is from the viewpoint of an adoptive parent. First, I'm sorry for those of you that had parents with no maternal or paternal instincts. I'm single parent adopter. I adopted 2 sets of brothers: L, came home at 6, his bio brother, P, came home as 12 and J and B came home a year later at 8 and . P was 2 therapies as he was the victim of SA by bf. J and B had multiple placements so they were put in talk therapy. One problem is both sets of brother had bio family not far from where we lived. That made the situation raw. I read about trauma therapy on the predecessor to this site and looked into it. The therapist J was seeing was versed in EMDR and he would get that. It took me while to get B into trauma therapy. The problem is both J and B are still healing and now teenagers so that's all thrown together. Also, I'm older and I don't have the patience I did when they were younger. I am proud to say P graduated high school and is now enlisted. L is looking for a job; he has a learning disability so his options are more limited. J and B both messed up school last year and are getting back on track. B is on probation but he's doing what has to be done. I do agree that adoption is for the kids but it's not as easy as one may think.