Advertisements
Advertisements
Our foster son is under a year old. He had the most beautiful shiny, curly, soft hair until two months ago.
Now his hair is brittle and falling out in the back.
Since he is under a year old, what products can I use on his hair to make it soft and shiny again? How often should I wash his hair? Most products I find in the African American hair section are for little kids, not infants.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!:prop:
Advertisements
My son is biracial but has the Aa hair. I wash his hair once a week, the rest of the week I just rinse it. I dont use specific products on his hair but whenever I cream him (at least twice / day) I just cream his hair too :) it keeps the hair moisturised.
The bald spot is normal for back sleepers. The hair will grow back once he starts moving around more in bed.
Oh, and sometimes I oil up his hair with baby oil!!
Hope that helped:flower:
My son did go through a stage (about 7 months) when his baby hair fell out and then grew back in with a more mature texture - much tighter curl. I don't think that's unusual. But if his hair seems dry and brittle, I would definitely try some oil. I had a friend who suggested simply using olive oil and that worked fine for him at that age. I just lightly spritzed his hair with it. After washing it, I also make sure that I put some oil in his hair while it is still wet to seal in the moisture. I try to avoid washing his hair more often than weekly - but that can be tricky with babies who like to smear food in their hair! :) But if you can get away with not washing more than once or twice a week and putting some oil in the hair while it's still wet, that will help.
I wash Peanut's hair once a week with shampoo. Since he loves to smear stuff in it, I wash another one or two times a week with conditioner only. Every day I spritz it with water followed by some coconut oil (from the baking aisle of the grocery store). I've read enough posts to hear that coconut oil works for some, not for others. Does well for Peanut. I also mix a little of it in his baby lotion when the weather is particularly dry. It works great on my rough elbows, too! :)