Advertisements
Advertisements
Are adoption worker just told us that a 12 yo child placed for adoption must have their own bedroom - they can't share a bedroom. Then he said he thinks it as something to do with age difference so maybe two boys over the age of 12 could share a room, but not a 12 yo and an 11 yo or younger child. I asked him to check on this and get back to us because this REALLY changes are adoption search criteria.
Has anyone else heard about these new rules and know exactly what they state about children of the same gender sharing a bedroom?
are you referring to a SPECIFIC 12 year old or in general?
Some kids obviously can't share a room, but our agency did tell us that a sibling set of 12 and 10 they'd presented to us could share a room and have bunkbeds. (we'd expressely requested only child initially and they used this as a "selling" point for us, lol)
Advertisements
I'm talking in general. Yes, I realize some kids can't share a room, but this discussion with our adoption worker was just in general. We are looking for a sibling group of boys that can share a room. This got brought up as we were touring our home during the home inspection for the home study.
That doesn't sound right. If both boys are safe to be with other children, and as long as they have their personal space (dresser/closet) why shouldn't they share a room?
Hi, in the State of PA children of the same sex CAN share a room as long as they have seperate beds. Opposite sex can share a room till the oldest reaches the age of 5.
That's what we were originally told, but our adoption worker says this is a new rule that was discussed at the statewide permanency conference at the end of January. She is getting the specifics for us since this greatly effects how many children we can consider.
Advertisements
Did you ever hear any more on whether this was a new rule to the state or just your agency's stipulation? Sounds pretty off.
Children over the age of 5 have to be separated by sex. I have an 18 yo, 20 yo, 11 yo and 10 yo all in the attic - all guys. The case workers for the 11 yo and 10 yo (they are unrelated foster boys) - have no problem with this arrangement. We are with Montgomery County.