Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
fostermommy65
So I adopted my son at the end of Nov 2011. I was told the adoption worker was going to send for my AS new birth certificate and SS card. I recieved the birth certificate in time to file my taxes. Like everyone else we were put in review due ATC, they excepted that and sent me the funds for the ATC and my regular refund minus the $1000 child credit for my AS. So basically they gave me my ATC for him but didnt count him as a dependent. Silly. So I called the irs, explained I hadnt yet got the new ss card and they fixed it.
So this year I e-file my taxes and they are rejected. I find out that its because his name and social dont match. I look into it and realize I never got his new SS card! Ok, so its totally my fault for forgetting and not following up, but what should I do now? ANY btdt? Can I just enter his pre-adoptive name on my refund? Or will it get flagged since I filed the ATC last year?
I really dont want to wait to file till I get this fixed with the ss office.
I'm sorry...but, odds are, it's best to get his new card taken care of and re file with that. It is also possible that when you go for the new card, they will give him a NEW number as well...and that would mess you up even further! It's messy...but, it would only make it messier to try to ad lib now!