Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi-
I am doing a presentation on Reactive Attachment Disorder for a graduate course designed to increase cultural competence and leadership abilities for health professionals who work in the school system. As part of the research for the presentation, I need to interview an adult who was diagnosed with RAD. I don't have any specific questions that I must have answered; the purpose of the interview is to make sure that the voices of people who actually experience a diagnosis are heard, rather than having my research consist solely of 'experts' talking about the diagnosis who do not have any personal experience. If anyone would be willing to email, private message, etc. through this site or do a telephone interview to share your experience with me, I would appreciate it.
Thank you very much-
Tracy
Just a question. How long has RAD been a diagnostic term? There may not be any/many who have reached adulthood if it is a relatively new term - you may wish to provide prior terms/descriptions?
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Dickons
Just a question. How long has RAD been a diagnostic term? There may not be any/many who have reached adulthood if it is a relatively new term - you may wish to provide prior terms/descriptions?
Kind regards,
Dickons
That's a great question. Reactive Attachment Disorder has been a possible diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual since 1980, but the term was used in a broader way (for symptoms beginning in childhood rather than just in infancy) since 1987. It is differentiated from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety disorders, conduct disorders and social phobias, although there are some common features.
I am new to this site and it's forum, but read about your research a few weeks ago. I may be able to help you if you still need it, but would prefer to do so via private communication-say email? Let me know on this forum if and how you would like to proceed. Best of luck to you.
I have finished my presentation, but want to thank everyone who reached out to contact me. I learned a lot about reactive attachment disorder and hope that continued research leads innovative treatments in the future.
Best-
Tracy