Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think everyone will agree adoption is better than guardianship bc it IS. Sometimes its the only option though, like in our case. We got legal custody of Xena and make ALL of her medical decisions (we are also in Ohio), parents can choose what faith they want her to be (luckily Xena's parents are Christian like we are) and they have a right to reasonable visitation. We cannot change her name, we are allowed to move we just have to notify the county with address/phone changes. It's intended to be permanent in nature and we have little concerns that her parents will even try to get her back (and if they do its VERY unlikely they would ever win). For us it works. We would have MUCh rather done adoption but custody was next best thing. I would do custody and all the drawbacks any day if it means we won't lose her. If you filed for custody it makes sense they are no longer doing tpr. There is no need once you have custody childrens services is no longer involved and its on you to file for adoption. It sucks and I'd be upset too but I think you made the right move since it is preventing her from going to family.