Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
so in my state the "custodian" can file for TPR -- would that be the foster parents? "custodian" is different from "guardian" because the list of who can file for TPR includes both custodian and guardian. In my STBAS's case I met the relative requirements so technically I could've filed for TPR but our lawyer didn't recommend it since it would've made DHS mad. I don't know if anyone ever does it. So does Ohio have anything like that? Here is the excerpt from our state's code:
Note that a custodian may also file a termination petition. See Section 232.2(11) for the definition of a custodian - a step-parent, relative within the fourth degree of consanguinity who has assumed care of the child, or a person appointed by the court as custodian. This may result in a conflict of interest between a custodian seeking to terminate parental rights for adoption of the child and the States responsibility to reunify. [emphasis mine]
If they are trying to push this back on you then maybe they would actually not care if you filed for TPR (if you could).
I do agree they are totally dropping the ball and that they should ultimately be the ones doing it though.