Advertisements
Advertisements
I know this has probably been done a hundred times before, but it should probably updated from time-to-time anyway.
What are some of the movies with adoption/foster themes you have seen? What are the movies you liked the best?
I came up with:
1. Meet the Robinsons
2. Blindside
3. The Odd Life of Timothy Green
4. Hotel for Dogs
5. Martian Child
In terms of watching with the children, I really like Martian Child. For myself, I love The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Timothy Green might be the only movie that really portrays the experience of foster parents.
Yes the horror movies! There are lots of them where the kid is evil and the poor parents suffer. It's sad how that negetive stereotype keeps getting perpetuated.
Advertisements
We've started a foster parent dinner and a movie training and so far have done blindside, I am Sam, and free Willie, next one up is white oleander, other ones we have discussed as possible....trust, ice age 2, angels in the outfield, and Edward scissorhands
mom2fabtwins
We've started a foster parent dinner and a movie training and so far have done blindside, I am Sam, and free Willie, next one up is white oleander, other ones we have discussed as possible....trust, ice age 2, angels in the outfield, and Edward scissorhands
Those are very creative titles. I thjnk your dinner and a movie idea is whast wevare starting with the support group we run.
Love both Pollyanna and Anne of Green Gables!
I've seen almost all of these movies, and it's a GREAT list!!
Losing Isiah breaks my heart every time!
Advertisements
Deep in my heart.....Anne Bancroft is in it. It makes me cry everytime I see it.
Immediate Family (about a private adoption scenario though)
And yea, growing up, knowing I was adopted and once in foster care myself, there was a bunch of movies and TV episodes that depicted adopted and foster kids as being evil, from the devil, just waiting to kill their fosters or adoptive parents and everyone else in their path!
Odd life on Timothy Green is amazingly beautiful and I cried the 4 times I watched it. It's a happy cry :)
Loosing Isaiah was a sad cry although still worth watching to get it all out. The story reminds me of my FS so it hit hard for me. I found out about it when his Aunt said the situation reminded her of that movie. so of course I ran home to rent it! Lol
For a scary one-Case 121-anyone seen it? Its like the PP mentioned, makes the child out to be evil and kills a bunch of people in the movie. Very scary!! Also Dandelion Dust was a great one-a tear-jerker for sure!
Advertisements
I love "I Am Sam" It has an even more special meaning for me now than before because my fs's mom is developmentally delayed. Actually, we had a day in court yesterday very much like "Sam's" day in court in the movie. Very sad.
Also love "Anne of Green Gables." Watched it all through growing up. Inspired me to be a foster mom. Gave our adopted daughter the middle name "Anne" after her.
We just saw "October Baby" this last weekend. Both my husband and I were upset that the parents didn't tell her she was adopted until she was in college :-(
"Kung Foo Panda 2"
Not really an adoption movie but "Finding Nemo."
Thanks for the list. I've got my library's search engine open and I'm putting some of these titles on hold.
Watched The Odd Life of Timothy Green last night and cried about four times. I loved it so much I'm making my husband watch it with me tonight. It may seem odd but trust me when I say you have to see it!
MountainMommy
Watched The Odd Life of Timothy Green last night and cried about four times. I loved it so much I'm making my husband watch it with me tonight. It may seem odd but trust me when I say you have to see it!
We rented it tonight and I made the mistake of making it a family movie...I didn't realize how horribly sad it was. It was too much for my 11 year bio - she ended up sobbing at the end. It scared Firecracker that the kid just disappeared. I should have researched it better.
The thing is that I don't think it is like foster care...we KNOW what we are getting into...they didn't. They didn't know he was leaving. They thought he was there forever.
Advertisements
I loved I am Sam and Martian Child...also liked Stuart Little...thinking about showing that one to my 4 1/2 year old to talk about it
Got some new titles to check out...thanks for the list!
Loving4ward
We rented it tonight and I made the mistake of making it a family movie...I didn't realize how horribly sad it was. It was too much for my 11 year bio - she ended up sobbing at the end. It scared Firecracker that the kid just disappeared. I should have researched it better.
The thing is that I don't think it is like foster care...we KNOW what we are getting into...they didn't. They didn't know he was leaving. They thought he was there forever.
I saw it at the theatre with my 9 and 7yo who both loved it, and yes my dd teared up at the end. I felt the foster care correlation when I saw it too. In fact I remember posting an update of FB saying that it hits close to home. Guess it's just a matter of perspective LOL!