Advertisements
Advertisements
If one fosters to adopt does the stipend stop when you adopt ? I believe college is stilled paid for but I haven't been able to find out if the monthly stipend stops when the adoption is completed .
Does anyone know ?
This has not been discussed in our classes .
It's a curiosity question :)
This is a reply which got deleted from another member when I tried to merge the two posts and I lost the name of who posted it:::arrow:
It depends on your state and the status of the kiddo. In my state only special needs kids get the stipend after adoption, but there are several things like siblings and older kids that are included in the special needs catagory. The stipend is smaller too, $400 a month I think. I am still not clear if college is included for all adopted kids or just those listed as special needs, but either way is not a big deal really. That only pays for state schools, so if they wanted to go to a private school that would be on us anyway, and private schools are the norm where I am because we have a few around us. :)
Advertisements
In NY, the stipend and medicaid continue after adoption. Everything else ends (daycare and college). I'm thinking college ended awhile ago.
In the orientation meeting we went to (in Texas) they said any child who has ever been in foster care, even if they are returned to their parents or adopted, are eligible for the college tuition. But it has to be a state school.
In Washington, the stipend changes. It's typically 10% less then the foster care stipend. It is revisited every 5 years to discuss the terms of your adoption. Daycare is no longer provided after adoption, but things like Medicare and money are discussed.
Advertisements
College tuition varies by state. They don't get it here. Even kids who age out of foster care don't! There's special scholarships for them, but it's not a given. If you're adopting younger, healthy kids, the stipend ends and you may no longer get Medicaid also in my state. Some states like CA though, the stipend (adoption subsidies) continues no matter what.
Ready2bMama
In the orientation meeting we went to (in Texas) they said any child who has ever been in foster care, even if they are returned to their parents or adopted, are eligible for the college tuition. But it has to be a state school.
This is what I was told too, but now that we are headed towards adoption I am being told this is not true - that this has to be negotiated - and because she is a white infant she might not get it...this just seems wrong to me, just because she is white and not bi-racial like her siblings (who are in care, just not with me) she gets nothing.
LoveBeingMama
This is what I was told too, but now that we are headed towards adoption I am being told this is not true - that this has to be negotiated - and because she is a white infant she might not get it...this just seems wrong to me, just because she is white and not bi-racial like her siblings (who are in care, just not with me) she gets nothing.
Looks like it depends on the date. September 1, 2009 being the date.
[URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texasfosteryouth.org%2Fdownloads%2Ftuition_waiver.pdf&ei=79E4UajAFO2u2AWr3YH4Cw&usg=AFQjCNEpa5od_jm_xJU7AJmXe9TxSrVREA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.b2U"]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texasfosteryouth.org%2Fdownloads%2Ftuition_waiver.pdf&ei=79E4UajAFO2u2AWr3YH4Cw&usg=AFQjCNEpa5od_jm_xJU7AJmXe9TxSrVREA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.b2U[/URL]
4) You were in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services
on the day preceding the date you were adopted, if that date is on or after September 1,
2009;
5) You were in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services
on the day preceding the date permanent managing conservatorship of you was awarded
to a person other than your parent, if that date is on or after September 1, 2009; or
Oh, you can read further down and it specifically addresses children adopted from the foster care system:
If you were adopted from foster care in Texas, there are two different ways you could
qualify for a tuition waiver.
One way to qualify is to be adopted from the foster care system after September 1, 2009.
If you qualify under this provision, you must enroll in at least one class before you are 25
years old.
Advertisements
Read2bMama - Thank You! Now, this sounds more like what I was told during the training. The agency is trying to tell me that she wouldn't qualify because she is not "special needs" - sure doesn't seem like that is the case.
Now if I can get the whole health insurance thing worked out, all will be good. It is super expensive to add her to mine from work and was once again told that she is not "special needs" so will not qualify to keep Medicaid...which is alright if I can find something reasonably priced.
I haven't talked to those who negotiate this stuff yet, this info is coming from one of the agency SW...who also said that we cannot claim FC on taxes...so....'nuff said...
Yes, it depends on the state. In Florida the stipend continues after adoption and so does the Medicaid but the stipend will stop once the child turns 18 and I think Medicaid will discontinue at 21 years of age. The stipend you will receive after adoption will be a little lower than what you would receive as a Foster Parent but not by much.
Best wishes!
Ready2bMama
Oh, you can read further down and it specifically addresses children adopted from the foster care system:
Is there a Texas website that has the "official" foster child benifits? This might let us do this sooner than later. We are looking for me to stay home once a child is with us so we are trying to wait so I can save my paychecks for all the "just in cases".
I did not know that daycare is paid for? or is it? This would really help since the preschool I am at does not take a child until 18 months for Preschool 1 classes. I am concerned that if we are places with younger than that (which would make me so :cheer: :love: ) I would be without childcare. Again, our first choice would be for me to be at home...just thinking of options.
I assume that all this is covered in PRIDE classes but I am anxious to get as much info as soon as I can.
:thanks: Thanks, :thanks:
Tiff