Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I area starting our classes this week to become foster parents which is required in TN to adopt through the state. Is there anyone that has went through this process in TN and can help us understand what to expect.
We are wanting to adopt a boy under age 6. I have been told by some case workers that if we haven't fostered for a while then they wouldn't accept us to adopt. Is this true??? We really only want to adopt. We understand why we need the foster parenting classes and why we must be foster parents first but we don't want multiple children coming in and out of our lives. We only want to foster those that could very potentially become our little boy. Is that even possible?
Also, it makes us nervous that they are just going to call us with a child for us to foster/adopt and we just have to say yes and hope that the child is a good fit for our family without meeting the child first. Isn't there children out there waiting to be adopted that we can maybe read about and meet once we are approved?
Sorry maybe I am not understanding the process...please help!!!
Your RPS worker has 90 days after PATH graduation to submit your HS for approval to Nashville. I've been told that HSs are usually approved in about 72 hours. We're just waiting for our HS to be submitted now, but should be licensed by the end of next week.
As far as adoption photolisting, do a search in the forums, most of the children on that site have extreme issues, and it can be difficult to get the child's CW to ever contact you back. There are several success stories, though!
Last update on November 17, 8:42 am by Sachin Gupta.
Advertisements
Pastor's Wife
Thank you. I am just impatient. I am feeling that the classes are focusing on fostering older children and telling us how we need to have a good relationship with the birth parent to help get the child back with their family. Which I understand if that is what is best for the child but I wish they had classes for those of us that want to adopt and explain how that process works. They don't want to even discuss it. It is like it is off limits.
wow, so this is what i have to expect ? We will be moving to TN in 3 months and i wanted to start with everything as soon as possible....i dont understand it either, you can read everywhere that there are so many kids waiting to be adopted and that they need people who are willing to do so...but when you actually decide to help and become a parent it seems like they make it so hard .......
thank you for posting your question and for the replies it generated. my hubby and i are also considering foster to adopt, but have found it to be intimidating. i hope all goes well for you.
We have one more class then we will wait for the homestudy. We have been told it could take up to 2 months. :(
We are getting nervous about the whole process. I have a feeling we are in for a roller coaster ride. :eek:
Advertisements
We completed our home study and classes in TN with an outside agency Youth Villages not DCS but have found you are your best resource. I went on adoption photolisting and started right away making inquiries. I got a emailable copy of our homestudy so I could send it myself to anyone who responded. We finished classes at the end of Feb and didn't get any responses for about 2-3 wks. We are now in the process of starting visitation with our prospective adoptable son. You do have to foster for 6 months but do not have to accept children who are not have TPR. We had the same concerns about being a revolving door.
Advocate for your self, work at it everyday and you will get results. Good luck!
Last update on November 17, 8:43 am by Sachin Gupta.
we were told they have to accept or decline your home study once submitted within 14 days. Our approval took about a week. Be sure your agency has all your stuff ready to submit by your last class.
barretts2
We completed our home study and classes in TN with an outside agency Youth Villages not DCS but have found you are your best resource. I went on adoption photolisting and started right away making inquiries. I got a emailable copy of our homestudy so I could send it myself to anyone who responded. We finished classes at the end of Feb and didn't get any responses for about 2-3 wks. We are now in the process of starting visitation with our prospective adoptable son. You do have to foster for 6 months but do not have to accept children who are not have TPR. We had the same concerns about being a revolving door.
Advocate for your self, work at it everyday and you will get results. Good luck!
barretts2- were you able to inquire about children in other states? I don't see a lot of children from TN in the age group we are looking for on the adoption photolisting website.
Last update on November 17, 8:43 am by Sachin Gupta.
If you will notice I started this thread in March when we started our PATH classes. Here it is July 2nd and we finally got the call today that they will be here to start our home study on July 10th. Is it just me or is this just way to long of a wait! All of these children that need a family and we have sat here for for over 2 months waiting for our home study to be started. I don't know how long it will take to finish this step and get approved but if it is anything like we just went through it will seem like FOREVER!
:grr:
Advertisements
I know this is an old thread, but we have just started the same process. We are in TN (Memphis) and attended our first PATH class last night. Our home study person seems to be on top of things pretty well so far. She was there last night to meet with us all and talk about how the process will go, and that we have 90 days from completion of the PATH classes to complete the home study.
We too are primarily interested in adoption only. It is good to hear from barretts2 that we can specifically say that we only want ones that are TPR. Though we got a little nervous when they said if we don't take a placement within 9 months they will close us out of the program. I haven't really heard yet how often kids come in.
I know they said things have slowed a little in TN due to new rules from judges saying they can't just remove kids from homes like they use to, that they must stay in the homes and get put on a plan first, then removed if they can't meet it (abuse and extreme neglect notwithstanding). So much info, and so much non-info. For now we will be focusing on getting our house in shape for the home study (going off the checklists and buying the needed items)
We are almost done with the h/s process and finished classes several months ago. Once the homestudy started, it has moved quickly. Our worker said she hopes to submit us for approval later this month! We are in Upper Cumberland area:)
My experience with social workers working in these cases are terrible. They drink and cry a lot. I think we need to raise up our voice and will to help those in need and not let a bunch pf alcoholics to take control of the future of children i need of a home and love. We want to give a child an opportunity, not vacations out of their dysfunctional homes
Advertisements
I know that this is an old post. I just wanted to see if anyone might have some insite on our situation.
My Daughter has a friend that is a ward of the State. She is a really sweet girl that has been delt a rough hand in life. My daughter lives with me with her 2 toddlers. She wants to adopt her friend who is a teenager. I want to help any way I can, even if I need to do it myself. I know we will need to have the foster training and such but, is there a different process when you have a specific child in mind?
Last update on April 15, 3:48 am by Gary Williamson.