Advertisements
Advertisements
Anyone have experience w/ adoption subsidies in AZ? If so, are they supposed to start at placement or finalization? What do they cover? When do we file paperwork?
Just for the record and hopefully would help out anyone else who'd find themselves in this situation:
It IS possible to obtain a subsidy for an adopted child post-placement. It's not easy; but it's possible and especially helpful if the baby/child should have a condition that wasn't noted at birth or in the early stages of placement.
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
Placement was just about a month ago, so it won't be finalized until August. In that way, it should be easier to get the subsidies from what it sounds like from Linny.
Yes, he sees a therapist regularly and has ADHD, PTSD, depression, insomnia, and something they are calling some sort of defiant disorder.
I got this in the mail this weekend. (See attachment). Is this the subsidy? Less than $2 per day?
No, I don't think so. From what I'm reading, there's no amount on the lines that indicate the daily rate of 'non-related foster care', right?
That line should be filled because that's the amount you should be receiving for what *you* do. The clothing allotment and the other (can't remember what it was), is something that will probably remain once the daily rate of care is adjusted.
But here's the thing, your social worker should be discussing this with you-now. You shouldn't have to guess what's going on and it's on them to come to you and discuss it with you. Do NOT finalize with this child until everything is clear about what they will and won't help you with---and I don't mean just financially-I'm talking about whether they'll help in finding a residential facility or psychiatric hospitalization in the event he might need this.
Keep in mind the state foster care system knows very well how difficult raising hurt children can be. This is nothing new to them; but in some areas, they'll try to skimp by with anything they can. This is wrong; but it's done all the time.
If I were you, I'd phone the worker ASAP. Flat out ask him/her, 'What will my monthly subsidy be once my son's adoption is finalized?" Don't take any answer that sounds like "Gee, I don't know." Because while they might not know the exact amount, they certainly have a ball-park idea of what it will be.
They OWE this explanation to you; and they OWE this to your son by helping his new family! You are NOT being a bad momma to ask them to explain it to you.
Sincerely,
Linny
You are very helpful Linny, thanks! I know they should be telling me & it does bother me that I have to ask. I do not feel comfortable asking for financial help but I can tell that if I hadn't asked about all the mileage prior to placement, they wouldn't have said anything and I had 2900+ miles! Now they did say they will cover that but won't cover any mileage after the date he moved in. That seems crazy since he has SO many appts including community service I have to take him to since he is on probation.
So you say that they already have an idea of what a monthly subsidy should be after finalization? Why wouldn't they tell me that??
Thanks again for all your info!
Advertisements
You are very helpful Linny, thanks! I know they should be telling me & it does bother me that I have to ask. I do not feel comfortable asking for financial help but I can tell that if I hadn't asked about all the mileage prior to placement, they wouldn't have said anything and I had 2900+ miles! Now they did say they will cover that but won't cover any mileage after the date he moved in. That seems crazy since he has SO many appts including community service I have to take him to since he is on probation.
So you say that they already have an idea of what a monthly subsidy should be after finalization? Why wouldn't they tell me that??
Thanks again for all your info!
P.S. we haven't been given 1 cent for his care since he has moved in. I see now why people choose foster to adopt rather than just getting licensed to adopt. We are racking up our credit card bills to make ends meet with the added cost of gas and groceries.
Now I'm curious to say the least! You mention that you understand now why people choose foster to adopt, rather than 'just getting licensed to adopt'? Wasn't this kid placed with you through your agency, or did you find him as a placement on your own?
Was he EVER a foster kid? If he wasn't, then that would explain why they MAY NOT know too much; however, if he was a foster placement in a previous home, they really should have an idea of what the subsidy will be.
Regarding helping you financially prior to him being placed; this would be standard practice. If he is being placed as a foster child, you SHOULD be receiving payment as a foster child?
How is he considered in the agency? A private placement or through the foster care system?
Sincerely,
Linny
Yes he has been in foster care (group homes) for 4 years. He has some serious behavioral issues so moved quite a few times from home to home. He is currently on probation as well.
As far as finding him on my own, no. I did find him through their long list of kids available for adopting since he was a foster kids w/parental rights severed. Our main issue was finding a kid that was not sexually abused or active since we have 4 of our children and were concerned for their safety and exposure to
certain things. We met this child at a bowling party put on by some agency to try to give a chance to let adoptive parents meet some of the kids in foster care.
The agency considers him foster since that is the only kind of adoptions they handle. They say I am not a certified foster parent though (which is why they say I don't get any help), I am only certified to adopt although I went through all the same classes the foster parents did. I don't have to go to any continuing classes though.
Now they just told me today they will not cover the 1500 miles we drove to their mandatory classes for 10 weeks.
Advertisements
It wpould be unusual for any agency to pay mileage to get to these type of classes. If your children are pretty young (up to age 14) *I * would be VERY HESITANT to bring a kid who had been in group homes and moved several times into my home!!!
Whenwe were taking classes yrs ago, we were told 95% of all foster children had been sexually abused. Additionally, children who have spent sig time ingroup homes often have other issues as well. I would be very, very careful about this.
I know there is a difference between foster to adopt and foster....but if the agency isn't requiring further classes...this makes no sense!!!
Sincerely,
Linny
I agree that the mileage for classes isn't usually covered.
I also agree that you should talk to the SW NOW. We had our homestudy done through a private agency when we adopted our first. However, there was a baby who had been in foster care from birth, and they asked if we wanted our homestudy submitted for him, even though it wouldn't be a private adoption, so to speak. We said yes, were matched, and got our first taste of "the system."
Since we weren't licensed to foster, only certified to adopt, we got the "non-family kinship rate." Or whatever it's called.... It was about $50/month.
HOWEVER.... The baby was "healthy" and got no services. Your child has behavioral issues that would qualify for a special rate. So in addition to the $19/day standard rate for foster care that you are not getting, there is an additional $10-$20/day that you should be getting for his special needs. DO NOT let them continue the placement without this kind of assistance, and get it in place before you sign the subsidy agreement for adoption.
Oh, ok. Someone at the agency had told me to keep track of that mileage and it would be reimbursed at the end. But that worker isn't there anymore.
Yes he has been tough to say the least. He is 14. I kind of feel like if we don't adopt him, no one will for sure. They wouldn't deal with his attitude and mood swings. And then he will lose all chance of becoming someone decent in life. We have seen some small changes in him since he has moved in, which gives us hope that he can improve and leave some of his bad habits behind.
As far as the classes, we don't have to take more or ongoing classes since we are not foster parents. We have never taken in any other child and since we are planning to adopt this one, the other classes are meant for foster parents. The classes we did have to take was the initial 10 week PSMAPP classes that foster parents have to take to get going and licensed.
Do you know anyone who has adopted a special needs kid w/out being a foster parent?
...Yes he has been tough to say the least. He is 14. I kind of feel like if we don't adopt him, no one will for sure...
Please be careful about this! Our family had the VERY SAME thinking about one kid-----and wow, did we ever have the wrong reason to adopt him! Please consider that this young man may never 'get it'; that he may never *want* the chance of becoming someone decent in life.
To take advantage of the opportunities you may present to him, will be his choice and his alone. You can't make someone see a better option if they don't want to. And I say that, because you have four children at home to consider. I say that because our own family has BTDT and lived to tell the tale (barely, for awhile); and I say that, because the chances are VERY high this young man has been sexually abused/exposed; has mood swings with behaviors and he's 'been tough to say the least'; and may present a real danger to your other children.
Please be careful.
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
Hi everyone,
Just briefly scrolling through the posts and thought I'd add my 2 cents worth of info.
I have done both foster to adopt and just adoption. I learned after my first adoption that subsidy can be a hard subject to discuss ( just in it for the money attitude) but it is an important piece with the high maintenance kiddos. It can make a vital difference in many areas, therapy, adaptive equipment not covered, camps, respite just to name a few.
I have never finalized an adoption without a subsidy agreement signed. I have only adopted special needs kids but from from 3 different states. After the fact can be tricky and hard. It is true that states vary on there rates and caps. You can find the basic info by state at NACAC. org. again it is basic. The rates reflect the needs of the child mild, moderate severe.
Ok...well Good luck to everyone on.
your journey. Any questions I'd be happy to answer
Take Care & God Speed
:flowergift: