Advertisements
Advertisements
Anyone have btdt experience with how far back it can test, what drugs it picks up, who orders it done, how soon after delivery it needs to be done? As the situation with Curly's mom escalates I want to be prepared for assisting dyfs in any way to prevent this baby from leaving the hospital with Mom. I second guess my decision to take placement of the baby but even if I do not I know this baby cannot go home with birth mom. ANY help would be appreciated.
Every newborn I have is Meconium tested. It is the FIRST poop that baby has after birth. It is sent for toxicology. It takes 7-10 days to get results. Those results will what drugs mom took through the whole pegnancy vs. a urine screen which just shows immediate drug use done the previous few days. Urine screen result is back within an hour or two.
Advertisements
As far as I know, here...IF there is suspicion they do the meconium test. Our son was born positive(tested his urine and found it...it had only been hours since she last used) and our daughter was clear for everything but nicotine...however, mom tested positive for meth just a month after the birth...so, there is always the chance...but, as far as I know, the hospital makes the decision to test or not...and in some places, they just do it, period.
As hopefulandwatching said - except I think it only shows from about 16 weeks on.
I think it is possible for it to show alcohol as well as other drugs but you may need to ask specially.
All of my newborns from the hospital had meconium testing done. First was clean which was surprising since mom tested positive for meth just 1.5 weeks before the baby was born. So not an addict, but mom also admitted to pot use which they also didn't find in the meconium. The next had positive meconium for heroin. They tested her only for lack of prenatal care, I believe, because she could play a good game of not seeming like an addict and it was her first baby. My current baby's meconium was clean too. She was tested due to lack of prenatal care, history and probably her actions as a whole. She admitted to using pot, but again, that didn't come up in the test.
This is very interesting. I wonder if they did this on Peanut. His mom claims when she tested positive at birth that she accidentally took the wrong medicine. He didn't test positive. It would be interesting to see what would come from that test if they did it. We got his hospital record in full...I wonder if it says in there if the test was done.
Advertisements
Our current newborn was tested and she was positive for 5 different drugs...her mother did just about every drug out there during her entire pregnancy AND was on a Methadone b/c she claimed she took less drugs b/c of it...ugh. Her mom also drank daily. Her first few weeks were hell for her but I think she's turning the corner and settling down...So yes, it will show what was taken during the entire pregnancy.
The hospital will also test if they notice signs with the infant (tremors, sucking on lips, low birthweight, holding breath, etc)
Here's a pretty detailed explanation
[url=http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/MeconiumandUmbilicalCord.html#tabs=1]Newborn Drug Screening - Meconium and Umbilical Cord - ARUP Consult, Your Online Lab Test Resource[/url]
When Chubbs was discharged,I was only told about heroin. Bio mom admitted and tested positive. But I got hs complete file and his meconium was positive for heroin, cocaine, marihuana, Xanax.
Thanks guys! I talked to DYFS today and they can and will order the test. I just need to make sure I keep up with mom and let them know when and where she will deliver so that the hospital doesn't have to be the ones to notice a reason to test the baby. It may be the only shot at having a legal reason to remove the baby. Everyone knows how in danger the baby will be if he goes home with mom but it just might not hold up in court.
Advertisements
TemporaryMom
Here's a pretty detailed explanation
[url=http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/MeconiumandUmbilicalCord.html#tabs=1]Newborn Drug Screening - Meconium and Umbilical Cord - ARUP Consult, Your Online Lab Test Resource[/url]
Thanks for that link, very helpful. It says 12th-16th week onwards which is what I thought.
I think ours was done due to positive urine test at birth for drugs A, B and C, and admission of drug A, the meconium showed drugs A and B through the roof but drug C only present in small quantities (bmom said she was given "a drink" which may have had "something" in it shortly before delivery, and it is entirely possible that the drug C was adulteration in drug B as it was fairly low).