Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Just wanted to update -- Its June 25, 2013 -- our adoption is now officially off. The birth mother, who a week ago emphatically told me how much she did not want to be a parent and was dead set on adoption, has now changed her mind. Well, we almost got there - 6 weeks were left to go.. we had all the baby gear ready, I had arranged for 5 weeks of vacation time from my job....
Better now then later, I guess. We are glad to be off the roller coaster.
We did get end up getting some receipts for food, mainly things like pizza for birthmom and boyfriend, taco bell receipt. Nothing like we expected. She was paying "rent" to her BF's uncle in cash. I hope what I have will be enough to recoup the losses on our 2013 Income Taxes.
ruth74 and dmariehill both have very good points that all new perspective adoptive parents should consider.
Good Luck
I don't think you need copies of their receipts.
Here's what we had for our taxes - the statement of fees that was with the contract that itemized what was agency fee, what was emom expense, what was legal fee, etc. It was a notarized document that we signed. Ask the agency for a reconciliation document and a letter/email stating what $ is available for refund and what is nonrefundable or lost. Your tax accountant should be able to work with those items.
In the end we successfully adopted later the same year, so we were way over the 12,500 credit. But the notarized fee document is what they wanted for the IRS. We had no problems getting our credit.