Advertisements
Advertisements
My sister asked me to adopt her baby. She just found out that she's pregnant and she is in no way ready to be a parent again. I just dont know where to start. Im so excited. I was wondering if anyone has any advice? Will it be easier to adopt since I am a relative? I live in the state of kansas by the way.
It will change your relationship with your sister forever.
How far along is she? She needs unbiased counseling on her options right now. She needs to understand the long term impact that placing her child will have for all of you.
Advertisements
I have an other sister that gave her daughter up to our cousin. Yes that is different, but we as a family made it work. I know we can make this work.
Your sister still needs counseling to understand the impact that adoption will have on herself and her child. I'm speaking as both an adopted person and a first mother. She needs counseling to make sure that she is not making a very permanent decision for what could be a very temporary situation.
To get started, I suggest going here for more information. It will give you a jumping off point.
[url=http://relative.adoption.com/]Relative Adoption - Adopt a Relative, Grandchild, Grandson[/url]
Also in there will be links to your state of KS information, so check those out too. Does your sister also live in KS? If not, that will add a bit more to the process as both state laws have to be followed.
You might consider talking with an adoption attorney for a consultation as well. Your sister should consider contacting one as well. This way you both get your own advice because each of you have needs to be addressed individually.
Have you thought/discussed what types of situations might occur in the future with your sister and how they will be handled? It's much better to consider these things now and have somewhat of a plan (plans can always change later if need be) so that everyone is on the same page. Adoption in general can be tricky at times and when you add the family dynamics to the picture, it can be even trickier. So just think about it. Some examples: visits, will child know she is his bmom but call her Aunt X, does your sister understand this is a permanent legal change to her parenting rights (she'll have none) and adoption is not a co-parenting situation?
There's a lot to consider so I'd start with that link and go from there. There is a lot of information to link to from that point.
Good luck!:)