Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
We rec'd a ltr in the mail from CPS inviting us to a Permanency Planning Meeting this coming Monday for our FS. At that time we will have had him just under a month. The meeting is at CPS office and from what the letter says it will include any adults (family ect) interested in our FS's case + CWs ect.
The only update we've rec'd is that there's been a bit of a "hold up" on the home study of the aunt/uncle (initially we were told we'd have him 3wks to a month pending the home study of aunt/uncle). No clue about details though.This will be our first meeting of this type, curious as to what to expect?
[LIST=1]
[*]Should we express our interest in adopting during that meeting?
[*]What type of information/questions will the ask us?
[*]Should I bring photos of our FS since we've had him?
[/LIST]
Thank you!
I can't speak for how the planning will go as I have not made it to that point with a placement yet- BUT- I don't think it hurts to express your desire to adopt as long as they know you will also support RU or relative placement if that is what is needed.
There is a lot of hesitancy on some threads about mentioning the "A" word to a child's worker- but I think it is all in how you word it and some have said NOT mentioning it has made their SW think they weren't interested.
I expressed our desire to adopt to Squeaks GAL and worker. I think if it had been up to the GAL she would have been all for it. She was still advocating for us at the court that placed Squeaks with GP's. And I am glad the GP's know that if anything comes up where they change their mind about PC- we would be there to adopt Squeaks.
I told her worker- "I know it is early and anything can happen, and that the goal is RU right now. We will support whatever you decide is the best thing for our FD, but we want you to know we want to adopt at some point and would be happy to adopt her if it gets to that point". She never felt I was not being supportive of RU.
Good luck! Keep us updated! I would love to see a post that details how the meeting went- since I have never been to one and don't know what to expect if we get to that point one day!
Advertisements
SAmom123
[LIST=1]
[*]Should we express our interest in adopting during that meeting?
[*]What type of information/questions will the ask us?
[*]Should I bring photos of our FS since we've had him?
[/LIST]
Thank you!
1. I'm going with, "not unless asked." There are times when I don't think any harm comes from mentioning the "A" word, but it's not something I recommend randomly bringing up in front of the parents.
2. Where I am, questions asked of the FPs are usually about the child's welfare (medical, emotional, educational).
3. There may or may not be an appropriate time to share photos -- doesn't hurt to bring them.
We attended our first permanency hearing last month. We have my nieces in a kinship placement. My brother didn't even bother to show up (surprise surprise). It was me, my mom (for support), my sister (she has custody of my nephew), our CPS caseworker, CPS supervisor, CPS legal liaison, kids attorney, CPS attorney, and a mediator, and a lady typing everything that was said into the computer. We all set around a big table, they went around the table. CPS worker and supervisor stated everything that has/is happening with the case, the services my brother was ordered, what services he is working (none!!!) and so on, they also stated that at this point the goal has switched from RU with adoption as backup to Adoption with RU as back up (woohoo). When it came around to us, they asked us how the kids were doing, how school is going, had we taken them to all the necessary appointments, any problems at home?, how they react before/during/after visits with dad (he has only seen them a few times in 6 months, he is just not interested), have we heard from mom (she has been gone since the twins were 2 months old, they are 12 now), and if we were interested in adopting them if dad didn't complete his plan (YES YES YES!!!!). Then the kids attorney and Cps attorney each said a few things and that was it.
It probably wouldn't hurt to bring pictures, but they may not ask for them. They may ask you, like they asked us, if you are interested in adopting him if it gets to that point. If not, I would do like PP said, and say something to the effect of "He is doing really good, we are happy to support RU but we would also be interested in adoption IF it comes to that." (not in those words but you know what I mean) :-).
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
1. here they do not want to know anything about your interest in adoption this early in the placement. even if the plan is concurrent RU/adoption, it's probably not the time to bring it up. wait until they ask. remember, parents are also supposed to be there.
2. what LemonPie said.
3. they usually make time for fps to show a photo or 2 to mom.
4. even though you didn't ask, you might only be allowed to stay for the very first part when they ask you about the kids. after that, you may be excused from the meeting while they talk about the case plan to and with the parent. as a fp, that's not our business.
Here they often to planning meetings when they are getting ready to transition a child to a different home. Of course I'm sure they happen other times but most frequently before a move. Could they be moving them to aunt and uncle? Or starting to transition?
Advertisements
wow, thanks everyone. I will def post an update after the meeting. From reading the posts above I realized we need to not come off as pushy, which we aren't. Knowing the little we know, and seeing how he is bonded and thriving with us, we do feel like he's best with us...but that's me talking (ha) and totally jumping the gun. We will support the best outcome for him. You may be right, MM- could be ready to transition him. Will be so hard.
SAmom123
wow, thanks everyone. I will def post an update after the meeting. From reading the posts above I realized we need to not come off as pushy, which we aren't. Knowing the little we know, and seeing how he is bonded and thriving with us, we do feel like he's best with us...but that's me talking (ha) and totally jumping the gun. We will support the best outcome for him. You may be right, MM- could be ready to transition him. Will be so hard.
In my experience, when it becomes appropriate...they will ask you if you are interested in being a permanent placement resource. I'd wait for them to ask, especially since you took baby knowing this was pending the aunt/uncles home study.
For the rest, listen, and learn...you may hear more info than you would otherwise, or, as pp said, you may be asked questions and asked to leave after your piece.
I would say bring the pics, but I would just mention to the CW(if there is an opportunity) that you have them if the BP's want them.
Hello -- have an update on the meeting on Monday. It went as many of you described -- we all met in a room - we were not asked to leave as the case was discussed though. At one point they asked us directly how he was doing ect, but it def was not appropriate for us to say anything beyond his welfare in our home. I did give pictures at the end and it was very much appreciated, was glad I had them. These situations are so hard on everyone involved. We do love the little guy and want the best for him always. Seems like we will have him for a while longer. :) Thanks again for all the advice.
And in more news....we now have another baby boy (8 mo's) in our care. Fingers crossed that he will be ours forever.