Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We attended our first permanency hearing last month. We have my nieces in a kinship placement. My brother didn't even bother to show up (surprise surprise). It was me, my mom (for support), my sister (she has custody of my nephew), our CPS caseworker, CPS supervisor, CPS legal liaison, kids attorney, CPS attorney, and a mediator, and a lady typing everything that was said into the computer. We all set around a big table, they went around the table. CPS worker and supervisor stated everything that has/is happening with the case, the services my brother was ordered, what services he is working (none!!!) and so on, they also stated that at this point the goal has switched from RU with adoption as backup to Adoption with RU as back up (woohoo). When it came around to us, they asked us how the kids were doing, how school is going, had we taken them to all the necessary appointments, any problems at home?, how they react before/during/after visits with dad (he has only seen them a few times in 6 months, he is just not interested), have we heard from mom (she has been gone since the twins were 2 months old, they are 12 now), and if we were interested in adopting them if dad didn't complete his plan (YES YES YES!!!!). Then the kids attorney and Cps attorney each said a few things and that was it.
It probably wouldn't hurt to bring pictures, but they may not ask for them. They may ask you, like they asked us, if you are interested in adopting him if it gets to that point. If not, I would do like PP said, and say something to the effect of "He is doing really good, we are happy to support RU but we would also be interested in adoption IF it comes to that." (not in those words but you know what I mean) :-).
Good luck, let us know how it goes.