Advertisements
Advertisements
1. My stbas has beautiful mocha colored skin. My husband and I are very fair skinned. I HATE it when someone looks at him and says "OH, he's soo dark!" "Is daddy dark too?" My new reply is "I wouldn't know since I've never met his daddy." LOVE the reactions I get.
2. I take only newborns so I'm at the pedi a lot. Twice while in the waiting room people have seen me bottle feeding one of our babes. Twice they have said something along the lines of "Why aren't I nursing?" "Nursing her would be sooo healthy for her!" UGH!!
3. I heard this from a relative, and I literally lost my mind. "I heard you and DH are adopting Captain Cave Man" "Aren't you worried about adopting through DCF b/c you never know what you are going to get!" Me:
"OMG!! What we "GOT" was the most amazing, beautiful gift from GOD, and his birthmom." Some ppl. act like foster children are less precious than a privately adopted child, I happen to think the complete opposite. Some ppl. are just stupid.
Advertisements
babeeberry
3. I heard this from a relative, and I literally lost my mind. "I heard you and DH are adopting Captain Cave Man" "Aren't you worried about adopting through DCF b/c you never know what you are going to get!" Me:
"OMG!! What we "GOT" was the most amazing, beautiful gift from GOD, and his birthmom." Some ppl. act like foster children are less precious than a privately adopted child, I happen to think the complete opposite. Some ppl. are just stupid.
#3 hits home with us. We are friends with a couple who did a private adoption and she likes to hint to the idea that the money they spent to go through private adoption was SOO worth it to not have to "do all the things we have to do to go through foster care". Like she PAID NOT to have to do visits with bios, deal with behaviors and report to a SW.
This same couple keeps telling us.."why don't you just go to Africa and adopt a baby?". HUH?
BoysParent
This same couple keeps telling us.."why don't you just go to Africa and adopt a baby?". HUH?
Haha! I ran into a colleague the week after I was off for finalization. She asked if I did anything fun during my vacation. I said "I finalized adoption of my son." She said "oh, I didn't know you adopted, from what country did you get him?" LOL. I said "umm, this one, he was a foster child." You mean you can get babies from foster care? [Note: this same colleague knew I was a foster parent and knew about my girls.]
I have to say, I hear that one more often than any other when people find that I adopted Chubbs as a baby.
my former boss, when I got the call for Chubbs, and I said "I might be getting a baby!" He says "wow, that is a lot of work." LOL. He is a confirmed bachelor, i believe he is gay but not open, but no kids or "wife."
Foster1mom - yes we have been stalked by the former foster mom since August :( Super crazy! And yes she's still a foster mom :grr:
Assuming that the kids are less "good" than other kids really bothers me.
Bottle feeding in public or having weird looks when I buy tons of formula (or maybe it's all the kids that I have- 2)
I frequently get asked, "So, are their parents into drugs?" I don't know why I'm always surprised about all that. I usually say, "Actually, no!"
It's funny- when I see a kid out of control in public and the parents seem unable to control him/her, I tend to assume now that the adults are foster parents. Not that we all don't know how to control our kids but just that we're more aware of how we handle the kids in public.
Advertisements
I am not being "mean" when I discipline my kids in public or make them tell the store clerk we are (shocking) buying this candy because my child took it without permission and ate half of it.
Please don't discipline or talk to my child when they are misbehaving!
My kids have anxiety!! Sometimes it may look like ADHD but trust me I have a handle on it. Enough said.