Advertisements
Advertisements
I didn't know how the day would go. I was so busy at work I did not know up from down. I had to renew my drivers license and meet my dad for an early b-day celebration for me (I'm the 25th).
Through it all, my thoughts returned to you. To the day you were born. To the pictures of you growing up. To what now must be graduation from college from my Alma Mater. Today was a happy day thinking of you, and not a sad day. I have continued to turn the corner.
I am proud of you. I am happy for you. I wish I knew you. I am here when you are ready to take that first step.
Advertisements
Okay, it's not quite the actual day, but in anticipation of Natalie's 23rd birthday, I have done a few positive things today:
wrote a Happy Birthday letter [unsent], full of all things that I would like to put into a card or real letter. My last one was in 2011 before I gave her the option to continue a rather one-sided dialogue. That's the nice way of saying I've never heard a response from her, and only one from her parents in the last 5 years.
I also wrote a hypothetical letter to her brother (also adopted) to see if he thought it would be a good idea for me to reach out his older sister. I may or may not ever actually send it, but if I did, it would be 4 or more years from now given his age (21).
It is absurd to think of the strategizing that goes into something as simple as "Hi! How are you? I think of you often and hope you are well..."
Okay, it's not quite the actual day, but in anticipation of Natalie's 23rd birthday, I have done a few positive things today:
wrote a Happy Birthday letter [unsent], full of all things that I would like to put into a card or real letter. My last one was in 2011 before I gave her the option to continue a rather one-sided dialogue. That's the nice way of saying I've never heard a response from her, and only one from her parents in the last 5 years.
I also wrote a hypothetical letter to her brother (also adopted) to see if he thought it would be a good idea for me to reach out his older sister. I may or may not ever actually send it, but if I did, it would be 4 or more years from now given his age (21).
It is absurd to think of the strategizing that goes into something as simple as "Hi! How are you? I think of you often and hope you are well..."
Happy 23rd Birthday, Natalie!
Today was "Take Your Kid to Work Day" today, and I took my two sons to the office with me. It really helped keep my mind occupied, but of course, my thoughts were of you and what you must be doing on this very special day. While I was "showing off" my kids with one of the admins in our office, she asked me point blank if I had any little girls at home, and I just kind of grinned sheepishly and shook my head. It's so random that I would even be asked that question on this of all days, but when it happens, it always stuns me. There's just no way to answer that without being found guilty of TMI.
I hope that you have had a great year, and are either finishing up your degree or getting some good experience with your career. I am always optimistic that this will be the year that we get to meet, or exchange letters, but I know that will only happen when you are ready.
May you have a wonderful birthday, and an awesome summer!
Happy 23rd Birthday, Natalie!
Today was "Take Your Kid to Work Day" today, and I took my two sons to the office with me. It really helped keep my mind occupied, but of course, my thoughts were of you and what you must be doing on this very special day. While I was "showing off" my kids with one of the admins in our office, she asked me point blank if I had any little girls at home, and I just kind of grinned sheepishly and shook my head. It's so random that I would even be asked that question on this of all days, but when it happens, it always stuns me. There's just no way to answer that without being found guilty of TMI.
I hope that you have had a great year, and are either finishing up your degree or getting some good experience with your career. I am always optimistic that this will be the year that we get to meet, or exchange letters, but I know that will only happen when you are ready.
May you have a wonderful birthday, and an awesome summer!
Advertisements