Advertisements
Advertisements
I really want to adopt a Russian baby. I speak russian fluently, and all my family lives there except me and my mother. I am married for over 5 years, and have a 1 year old son. I want to do this becuase I love children and not because I cannot have my own. I also think I can preseve my culture, as I speak Russian language fluently. Both of us are educated and live in Washington DC. Is this a possibility for me? I have Russian and English citizenship. Can someone help me find an agency to talk to or is the answer flat out no. :wings: :wings:
My understanding is that the ban does not apply to British people. However, you're living in the US, so I'm not sure how that works. Also, are you married to a US citizen?
I wish you all the luck in the world, though. :)
Advertisements
Hi! I'm Russian))) Hoping to adopt soon but in US domestically.
My understanding is that American agencies don't work with Russia at all at the moment. All programs are closed. Here are few quick ideas:
- Call big agencies who used to work with Russia and ask them. Just google. (I came across some. If you want, I can try finding, but I also was just googling without any recommendation)
- Try advertising is Russian communities in US (Miami, NY etc). Churches for example.
You say you have two citizenships: Russian and British. Do you have American? Because if not then you can't adopt internationally even from your country of origin. Like I can't adopt from Russia because I live in US and I'm not a US citizen yet.
Good luck in everything.
Hi,
I am a Russian-US citizen married to an American spouse. We live in the US. I know that there is this ridiculous ban on US adoptions from Russia, but as a Russian citizen, can I still adopt in Russia domestically? I do have a current domestic Russian passport, but I do not have a registration (propiska). Any ideas/advice will be appreciated.
Thanks! CnaCU6O!
Unfortunately, you will not be able to adopt from Russia at this time. As previously mentioned, Russia has decided not to place children with families in the U.S. There is no specific exception for families in the U.S., where one spouse also holds Russian citizenship.
While you might possibly be able to do a domestic adoption from some region in Russia, as a Russian citizen, your child would not qualify for an adoption visa to enter the U.S. You would have to live overseas with the child for two years, before you could bring him/her home on a regular dependent visa. Remember that international adoption involves two components -- adoption and immigration. An adoption visa could not be issued if the adoption did not follow the appropriate international adoption process, or if the parents or child did not meet U.S. requirements.
Sharon
Advertisements
Hren, hi! I am Russian/American as well, adopted from Russia through an American agency in 2004. However, the way you described to adopt in Russia domestically as a Russian citizen has been done before by a few Russian/American women. I am not sure about the logistics, but one woman I met on one of the adoption forums adopted as a Russian ("propiska" is a must, the social worker comes and checks it during homestudy), her American husband signed the paper that allows his wife to go through the whole adoption process without him. After the court she applied for a family reunion visa (or something like this) at the US Embassy. It took her about 6 months to get this visa. It was not easy. All in all, she was in Russia for about a year. And it wasn't as easy as it sounds.
I am not saying that I recommend this way. I am just sharing what I know since you asked.
Actually, if you hold Russian citizenship and adopt a child domestically in Russia, you will have to live with your child in Russia for two years before bringing him/her to the U.S. You cannot get an adoption visa for him/her, and you cannot get any sort of dependent visa for him/her without living abroad with the child for two years.
In addition to having U.S. visa problems, you may find that some regions in Russia will not let you adopt through the domestic program since you actually reside in the U.S., although you hold Russian citizenship. Since the Russian government now bans adoption by people living in the U.S., it may interpret your actions as an illegal attempt to circumvent the ban.
Sharon
Thanks a lot for all the advice - it seems that a domestic adoption in Russia is a no-go. Not that circumvention of that ban worries me (anything is bought and sold in Russia), but the 2-year U.S. requirements is a certain road block. I can't move back to Russia for two years for the purpose of adoption - this would be ridiculous.