Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi friends
Our story of adoption is here. We adopted a child 5+ years within our relative circle. Child lost her mother when she was just 1 and her father neglected her. Girl grew up in the village with the help of various relatives but no home permanent for her.
Last year we happened to meet her and her story was very touching. We agreed to adopt her and in fact adopted her within 4 days after our first meet. At the time we met Sonika, we never had any plans for adoption, nor we knew about all the rules associated with adoption. But we decided to adopt her thinking that adopting a child is also a basic human right like giving birth to a child. We also wanted to do that legally so we got a court order and then wanted to take our child.
Later we came to know about very stringent rules associated with inter-country adoption. We wanted to comply with all the rules but as we progressed we came through lots and lots of difficulties.
We did apply for immigration but then came an institution called CARA (Central Adoption Resource Authority) who had to issue an NOC (No Objection Certificate). CARA was holding all adoption applications for more than a year for one reason. They kept on saying they are reviewing their policies. This brought lots of issues in our life. We continued our stay but could not for too long due to loss of wages, new place issues, managing expenses in Canada and in the new place, health related issues due to weather etc reasons. We continued spending time with our child going through all the ordeals for one reason. Our child. She attached herself very soon and very comfortably with us and she wanted us to either take her with us or be with her.
We asked Canada to allow our child on temporary visa as we have legally adopted her. We asked for one year while the immigration process is taking place. Canada kept refusing our application. For one reason. Visa office didn't believe that the child will come back after the visa period.
Institutions formed by people for people are not considerate sometimes. There is good amount of discrimination too. They won't hear the cries of the child or pains of the parents. Institutions like CARA, CIC must be sensible to see the genuine cases and treat them with due responsibility, quickness and reasonable grounds.
I know our case different from other parents who are planning to go through the system/process existing already but in a simple sense a child must be given due importance. In our case our adoption is completely legal. We have complied with all procedures. Yet the child is not allowed to go with the parents on a temporary visa and despite our honest efforts to explain Canada Immigration authorities and promises we made exclusively, we repeatedly were refused visa.
We are Canadian Citizens. But Nothing matters when it comes to bureaucracy. I am not sure how to name this treatment by Canadian Visa issuing authorities but in humanly terms, it is discrimination and ill treatment extended to a child's freedom and wants.
Dear friends, please be aware of all these procedures and exorbitant delays and expenses involved. Be strong. Your child may spend all his/her best period of childhood in vain and pain. It may unite with you when it is in teenage after being deprived of its golden age to be in a family, with parents.
We have gone through lots of pain. Our child literally cried each time she was told the visa office has refused her temporary visa. We don't know who to go to as no one is interested in hearing our story. We have spent more than $50000 now just for doing one good thing. Adopting a child. In return we went through happiness of being with the child but the child and us are literally going through lots of difficulties wanting to go home as a family.
I now intend to help families who are going to adopt and help them connect with proper resources.
I wanted to share some of our issues with prospective adoptive parents who are looking to adopt from India.
They are certainly doing a great thing but kindly do proper research and plan your finances accordingly. Most of all be really strong emotionally.
Kalki
Hi Kalki,
I have read your post and I am happy to know that you have successfully adopted a child in spite of all the difficulties you have gone through. I would like to ask your help as we are also looking for an adoption from India.
We are a parent of one child of our own. We are willing to adopt a child to add to our family. We are originally from India. Now, we both are US citizens living in the US.
We want to adopt a child from India but I have read on the internet that it takes a very long time and big budget to adopt a child. I am a 45 year old and my wife is 41 years. So, I think we do not have a lot of time on our hands.
Can you please guide me here on how to legally adopt a child from India and in the shortest possible time.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Advertisements