Advertisements
Advertisements
How does respite work in Indiana? Do you have to find the caregiver? Do you pay them or the state? How long are you able to put them?
I always swore I would take all foster kids with us on vacation, but we have a foster son who will be just 2 1/2 months for our annual family vacation. DH can't go because he had to use up his vacation time in January for back surgery, so it'll just be me with FS and DS on an 11 hour car trip and up there at the cottage for a week.
If he was older, even a year, I'd take him no questions. But it just seems like a stressful trip all around when he won't remember it...but I don't want to hurt his bond with us either. I'm just torn on this, which is why I was hoping to get more info.
His previous foster mom (who had him the first 11 days of his life) said she'd be willing to do respite if we needed it, but she's a good hour away in a different county so I don't even know if that would work.
moesyk4
How does respite work in Indiana? Do you have to find the caregiver? Do you pay them or the state? How long are you able to put them?
I always swore I would take all foster kids with us on vacation, but we have a foster son who will be just 2 1/2 months for our annual family vacation. DH can't go because he had to use up his vacation time in January for back surgery, so it'll just be me with FS and DS on an 11 hour car trip and up there at the cottage for a week.
If he was older, even a year, I'd take him no questions. But it just seems like a stressful trip all around when he won't remember it...but I don't want to hurt his bond with us either. I'm just torn on this, which is why I was hoping to get more info.
His previous foster mom (who had him the first 11 days of his life) said she'd be willing to do respite if we needed it, but she's a good hour away in a different county so I don't even know if that would work.
What I was told was that we can arrange for respite ourselves if we know of other fp's. Otherwise contact your FCS and they will help give you some names. It is between the fp's and the respite providers to work out payment. I was told many families just give the respite providers their per diem for the day.
I have read in multiple places that children don't really develop the "bond" where they prefer one care giver to another until closer to six months. So I think you would be safe to leave him for a week without destroying to much of your bond. Of course what the "experts" say and what you feel can be two totally different things.
Good luck with your decision. I hope you enjoy your trip either way.
Advertisements
We are in Marion County..I talked to the SWs and they both said it was fine. His original foster mom (had him the first 9 days) said she will do the respite, but she is out of county so I'm hoping they will approve her. We are kind of in the funky part of the case where they are transitioning to supervised and eventually in the next few weeks unsupervised visits in the home and since this is our first foster case I'm not sure how to plan ahead for visits...as in, do I reschedule with the Bureau..or since they may all be moving to in home visits, do I let the lady who is transporting him to those do it? Waiting to hear back...