Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Your responses have been incredibly helpful. Thank you.
If I am to understand correctly, then, a child with extreme ODD should be defiant just about anytime someone tries to exercise authority over them, or at least exhibit such characteristics in more places than just at home, right?
And a child with RAD would present similar behaviors to a child with ODD, but it would only present itself if their brain has caught on to the fact that someone is trying to attach to them, right?
Does that mean that if you have a child that has outbursts to the extent that they break things, that they lie constantly, steal, and try to manipulate others, but only do it at home, that they are RAD?
We have a case that is definitely not RAD, but maybe somewhere on the attachment spectrum, but we also have a therapist who has thrown around the label of ODD (not a therapist trained in attachment or trauma issues). It is so hard to tell right now, but we need help. We need to address the behaviors correctly, because after 2 years I feel like we are just spinning our wheels.
I have, indeed, read The Connected Child. I love it. I am using it. Ok, I am TRYING to follow of Karyn's advice. It is difficult, and doesn't very often seem to get to the source. So....still kinda wondering if we are dealing with a child that just plain oppositional, or if we have a child that is really struggling with attachment.